Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #41
Site Team

Garage
Re: SMB Ford E-350 Cut-away w/fiberglass body

Sportsmobile has done some Chevy stuff but have tooled and designed around the Ford E-series mainly do to Fords stronger frame and shorter wheel base. SMB West is the only one out of the 3 that build a vehicle considered something as an expedition vehicle. Considering all the assembly line RV's out there, SMBW almost pioneered the move to 4x4 camper vans and is why today they are moving into the world of higher end expedition rigs. 2WD Camping RV's are a dime a dozen and with so many companies to compete against, I think SMBW knows what they have and adapt to the industry which is why they offer rigs like the Sprinter. The market dictates what SMBW offers as their primary money maker. How many here have the cash for a 300,000 dollar rig like the ATW Fuso? But look at how their E-Series have sold. There is enough want for these types of vehicles that other companies are doing the same. As far as the top, other than the fact that the design has worked out fine for them, I doubt you'll see too much change other than what they did on the cutaway version. Other companies make pop tops and don't wander too far off their own designs either.
Who knows how the future will trend due to our government regulations. If fuel prices go up too high, it might kill the high power off road type vehicle industry. I mean I'd love to see something that gets high mileage, and has a lot of power and can travel large distances but I also hope it looks good or at least can be made to look good unlike all the stuff that is being built now days. I guess I can only be optimistic.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
not true-the econoline chassis/cab survives because so many class C"s are made from them if only b's they would have been gone long ago
I think I stated clearly that a market for heavy duty cutaway chassis would remain, and that Ford would not abandon that market.

So assuming we agree on that, are you thinking that Ford will keep producing the E-350 and E-450 cutaway chassis for larger class Cs instead of expanding the Transit model line of cutaways? That's what you appear to be saying.

History shows Ford has previously moved on and phased out older van models on a timely basis. The only significant difference this time around is that the new van replacement was given a different name. This "could" allow Ford to keep producing both Transits and Econolines concurrently, but I just don't see that happening. As soon as manufacturing capacity is expanded enough I expect Ford to phase out the Econoline entirely. Isn't the current Econoline's age beyond previous van models?
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #43
Site Team

Garage

Most of the ambulance companies have moved to Sprinters in this are. That seems to be what has held the E-series more than anything. F-series chassis can take their place and I'm afraid that the E-series might be on the way out. I doubt the RV industry has that much pull but I could be wrong

Old 05-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
not true-the econoline chassis/cab survives because so many class C"s are made from them if only b's they would have been gone long ago
I think I stated clearly that a market for heavy duty cutaway chassis would remain, and that Ford would not abandon that market.

So assuming we agree on that, are you thinking that Ford will keep producing the E-350 and E-450 cutaway chassis for larger class Cs instead of expanding the Transit model line of cutaways? That's what you appear to be saying.

History shows Ford has previously moved on and phased out older van models on a timely basis. The only significant difference this time around is that the new van replacement was given a different name. This "could" allow Ford to keep producing both Transits and Econolines concurrently, but I just don't see that happening. As soon as manufacturing capacity is expanded enough I expect Ford to phase out the Econoline entirely. Isn't the current Econoline's age beyond previous van models?

i think they'll do both
Old 05-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #45

Here are a few photos I took while at the Overland Expo:

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #46
Site Team

Interesting. Those don't look like Ford side and rear doors, or at least the interior skin is different.

Also, it looks like Aluminess is finally updating their rear bumper to incorporate LED brake and backup lights.

Herb
Old 05-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #47
Site Team

Garage

Herb, IIRC there are no tail lights in the body

Old 05-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Herb, IIRC there are no tail lights in the body
That would be interesting, but hopefully they'll change that before production. What happens when someone the rear Aluminess? To me, the rear bumper lighting should complement the vehicle lighting.

If nothing else though, hopefully that bumper will also work on other E-series.

Herb
Old 05-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #49
Site Team

Garage

Don't think you will have a choice of bumper style's on that van...it comes with it. I think they're the same as the other concept vehicle they had built. I was told Ford assemblies aren't an option.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
I find it a strange business decision. Trying to build an Econoline replacement in-house basically sends a message to Ford that the Transit isn't an adequate substitute. How long do they think the Econoline cutaway is going to be around anyway?
From everything I've read the cutaway is committed through at least 2019. They've already replaced the necessary tooling, and their UAW contract runs that long. The current form of the Transit certainly is not a suitable substitute. GCWRs come up short by 10,000 pounds compared to the E-series, and the running gear barely compares with current 1/2-ton pickups. A few years ago I read that Ford would try a new cutaway based on the F-series chassis, but those rumors seem to have dried up, so maybe they gave up on that?

One thing is for sure.... Pickups just don't make a good substitute for many applications. You lose 3' of usable space, and have headroom problems making the transition into the body. Visibility is terrible off-road. Turning radius is worse.

Maybe Ford will try putting a new cab on the F53/59 chassis? The bottom end of the F59 already overlaps the E450 stripped chassis. Even if they do, I think that would be several years out still, so SMB has some time to make back their investment before needing new molds.

I do think they took the right approach with their E350 styled body. There's already dozens of companies that make slab-sided cutaway bodies, and a few that make styled narrow fiberglass bodies (Turtle Top has a couple options, and Aerocell has one now). Why should they try to compete with a market that's already served? Let's face it... Folks still like the E-series or they wouldn't be selling them. And for some folks an E350 body keeps them on the good side of their HOA. After seeing the woefully inadequate specs on the Transit, I know I'll be sticking with an E-series. Unless I win the lottery. In that case I'd build a Dakar-style AWD rally truck out of a Freightliner Argossy.