cellularSTEVE - 36
Login FAQ
Register  

Sportsmobileforum.com

An online forum community for the owners, admirers and fans of Sportsmobile vans and Sprinters, new and old. Share photos, advice, discuss modifications, camping or buy & sell. Anyone who owns, has a passion for, or just curiosity about SMBs, come in!
The time now is Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:59 pm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:58 pm   Post subject: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER & TOILET

Hey Guys,

Reaching out to the group for some help with our Sprinter EB design.
Trying to work out the toilet/shower part of the design.
The van is just for my wife and I.
We are more in favor of foregoing a set toilet/shower combo stall since I'm tall and don't fit very well in the confined space. Considering just going with a marine toilet mounted in the back, which we've seen some others have already done. Would also like to add a shower option in the back.
Anybody have any input on doing this and how it's worked out?
We want to have the shower wand installed in the corner near the toilet so it can used outside as well. I'm a windsurfer & surfer so I plan to make use of that a lot for rinsing off.

Appreciate the design help.
Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by windguy on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Admin V

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:35 pm   Post subject: Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

How often will you want to rinse inside the van as opposed to outside?

If it's cold enough to have to be inside the van, is it not going to be worth the cramped shower to be inside?

SMB has an inside shower that attaches to the top and is basically a conical shower curtain that ends in a tray. Surfgeek33 (ray) modified the tray: http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2682 to drain instead of just collect- I'd think something like that drained to the outside solely for rinsing would be a good solution.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:52 pm   Post subject: Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

Consider using a porta potty instead of the marine toilet. The porta potty can be stowed when not in use and this will free up the space now occupied by the marine toilet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:51 am   Post subject: Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

jage wrote:
How often will you want to rinse inside the van as opposed to outside?

If it's cold enough to have to be inside the van, is it not going to be worth the cramped shower to be inside?

SMB has an inside shower that attaches to the top and is basically a conical shower curtain that ends in a tray. Surfgeek33 (ray) modified the tray: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2682 to drain instead of just collect- I'd think something like that drained to the outside solely for rinsing would be a good solution.

Thanks for your input jage.
rinsing inside vs outside will be weather dependent. hard to say on the ratio and frequency.
I've used a solar shower many years by myself just wearing swim trunks but my wife wouldn't be comfortable going this route. I wish I had more answers on how we're going to use it but won't know until we take some trips. That's why I was wondering what others do for showers. I realize that everyone is different on how often they shower, at home or while camping.

With the 75" high ceiling of the Sprinter I think there will be ample room to stand for me being in the middle aisle. With the shower stalls against the side of the van, the curvature of the van really reduces the head room so sitting is the only option for showering for me, but those stalls would be too small for me even in that mode.

Thanks for directing me to surfgeeks thread. I think I checked that out once before but had forgotten about it. Will add it to my design notebook I'm keeping. Too many ideas and notes for my feeble brain to remember. I like what surfgeek did. Very clever design.

I understand that SMB can add a shower pan into the floor of the van that has a cover that is level with the surface of the floor. Don't know how evasive that is but it's sure a slick idea. Would just have to work out a shower curtain option. I could add the shower later too after we've take a few trips to see what we really require.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:10 am   Post subject: Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

RickL wrote:
Consider using a porta potty instead of the marine toilet. The porta potty can be stowed when not in use and this will free up the space now occupied by the marine toilet.

thanks for your input Rick. your point is well taken.
we've considered a porta-potty vs the marine toilet. I've wavered a few times on this.
I guess there's a lot of pros and cons to each option.
We've got the space available for a dedicated toilet area so I figure why not go with the marine toilet. We don't need the cabinet around the toilet for privacy since it's just the two of us and the back door will screen one end and opening the closet door will screen off the front area.
The porta-potty seems like a child's training toilet to me. It's nice to have a nice solid throne, no?
Isn't that what separates royalty from the serfs? :a3:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:00 pm   Post subject: Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

windguy wrote:
RickL wrote:

thanks for your input Rick. your point is well taken.
we've considered a porta-potty vs the marine toilet. I've wavered a few times on this.
I guess there's a lot of pros and cons to each option.
We've got the space available for a dedicated toilet area so I figure why not go with the marine toilet. We don't need the cabinet around the toilet for privacy since it's just the two of us and the back door will screen one end and opening the closet door will screen off the front area.
The porta-potty seems like a child's training toilet to me. It's nice to have a nice solid throne, no?
Isn't that what separates royalty from the serfs? :a3:

Visited SMB Fresno last week. Was thinking of going the marine toilet route till we saw the
location of the dump valve. It is very low and with running boards almost have to lay on the
ground to access it. Don't know if you have been in very many dump stations -- but they can
be pretty --- lets say --- dirty.

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:19 pm   Post subject: Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

rescuerobert wrote:
Visited SMB Fresno last week. Was thinking of going the marine toilet route till we saw the location of the dump valve. It is very low and with running boards almost have to lay on the ground to access it. Don't know if you have been in very many dump stations -- but they can
be pretty --- lets say --- dirty.Robert

hope you learned a lot visiting SMBW. Any pics to share?

I never really considered the issues in accessing the drain valve. Good point.
I wonder if it matters if your holding tank is inside vs outside in where they locate the drain.
The lower the tank the lower the drain, right?
McD's okay with you sliding into their restroom to do that when in town? :p5:

maybe others can weigh in that have a marine toilet in a Sprinter and are experienced in visiting the dump station. can't image that's a pleasant task regardless of what type of toilet you have.
What's it like dumping a porti-potti tank and where is that often done?

I wonder what type of residual smell can get back into the van with either toilet solution or is that not an issue? :e7:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:29 pm   Post subject: Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

windguy wrote:
rescuerobert wrote:
Visited SMB Fresno last week. Was thinking of going the marine toilet route till we saw the location of the dump valve. It is very low and with running boards almost have to lay on the ground to access it. Don't know if you have been in very many dump stations -- but they can
be pretty --- lets say --- dirty.Robert

hope you learned a lot visiting SMBW. Any pics to share?

I never really considered the issues in accessing the drain valve. Good point.
I wonder if it matters if your holding tank is inside vs outside in where they locate the drain.
The lower the tank the lower the drain, right?
McD's okay with you sliding into their restroom to do that when in town? :p5:

maybe others can weigh in that have a marine toilet in a Sprinter and are experienced in visiting the dump station. can't image that's a pleasant task regardless of what type of toilet you have.
What's it like dumping a porti-potti tank and where is that often done?

I wonder what type of residual smell can get back into the van with either toilet solution or is that not an issue? :e7:

Took 2 cameras took 0 pics! Yes learned a lot. Got a tour by Alan the owner, then sat down With Jeff talking discussing etc. for 4 hrs. The black tank thing just happened to show up just as we were finishing. Through us for a loop. Looks like porta-potty is very easy to use as well as empty.
It seems that the placement of the black drain cannot be moved. At least cannot move it to a higher position.

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:29 pm   Post subject: Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

porti pottie vote

jmho

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:34 pm   Post subject: Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

billwilson wrote:
porti pottie votejmho

BW,
Where do you empty that puppy?
What model throne do you have?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:39 pm   Post subject: Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

rescuerobert wrote:
Took 2 cameras took 0 pics!

ha ha. funny

rescuerobert wrote:
Got a tour by Alan the owner, then sat down With Jeff talking discussing etc. for 4 hrs.

your head must have been spinning after leaving there.

rescuerobert wrote:
The black tank thing just happened to show up just as we were finishing. Through us for a loop. Looks like porta-potty is very easy to use as well as empty. It seems that the placement of the black drain cannot be moved. At least cannot move it to a higher position.

I wonder if that's a MBenz restriction on where they can cut into the van. putting so low that you have to lie down to get to doesn't seem very user friendly.
What model PP are you considering now?
Do you have a prelim design you want to share or is it back to drawing board?
Admin IV
Support Gold

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:45 pm   Post subject: Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

I empty my Porta-Pottie into any toilet. Then rinse and empty. Then I'm ready to go (pun intended).

It's easy to empty. The P-Ps have a swing out spout for emptying and it makes it much cleaner to use.

SMB furnished the electric flush P-P with our van, and it is quite nice. The batteries have not been changed since new in 2004 and it still flushes nicely.

I think it is easier to empty the P-P than to empty a holding tank.

Mike
SMB Trailer w/AT Air Suspension
Alaska to Key West, Labrador and more
113782 miles 16.68 mpg average
Prostate cancer survivor. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11099

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:57 pm   Post subject: Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

windguy wrote:
rescuerobert wrote:
Took 2 cameras took 0 pics!

ha ha. funny

rescuerobert wrote:
Got a tour by Alan the owner, then sat down With Jeff talking discussing etc. for 4 hrs.

your head must have been spinning after leaving there.

rescuerobert wrote:
The black tank thing just happened to show up just as we were finishing. Through us for a loop. Looks like porta-potty is very easy to use as well as empty. It seems that the placement of the black drain cannot be moved. At least cannot move it to a higher position.

I wonder if that's a MBenz restriction on where they can cut into the van. putting so low that you have to lie down to get to doesn't seem very user friendly.
What model PP are you considering now?
Do you have a prelim design you want to share or is it back to drawing board?

Plan in constant flux. Just going to substitute PP for toilet.
Folks there are very nice. All the info seems to be good i.e. no waffeling, evasions etc.
Tons of info, almost too much for one day.

Very cool folks.

Not sure about restrictions on location of tank valves. Do understand if one only has a grey tank then there is a little more flexability about its location. That is what we are going to do.

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:06 pm   Post subject: Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

Ford_6L_E350 wrote:
I empty my Porta-Pottie into any toilet. Then rinse and empty. Then I'm ready to go (pun intended).

It's easy to empty. The P-Ps have a swing out spout for emptying and it makes it much cleaner to use.

SMB furnished the electric flush P-P with our van, and it is quite nice. The batteries have not been changed since new in 2004 and it still flushes nicely.

I think it is easier to empty the P-P than to empty a holding tank.

Mike

Mike, if you're on the road and need to empty the PP tank, where do you do that?
What model PP do you have or is that asking something too personal? :b1:

I guess some places charge ~$8- to use the dump station or sometimes free if you camp there.
Would like to hear some input from others.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:43 pm   Post subject: Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

this is turning into a toilet chat. :a5:

this link to Thetford's site show they have lots of options http://www.thetford.com/HOME/Applicatio ... fault.aspx
Does Thetford own Norcold since it shows those products too?