Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #1

4x4 Conversion

Hello Everybody
I just bought a 2008 diesel E350 Club Wagon......I'm looking for input on which company to use for converting my van to a 4x4, Quigley, Quadvan, Clydesdale, Advance, Ujoint. Please let me know your experience with these companies.

Thanks
Rick

Rick934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #2

Re: 4x4 Conversion

I have got a Quadvan 4" lift, ride is smooth.
What I like is front coil, factory front end maintained (safety) and all the 4x4 conversion is made with no modification to the frame.
My 2 ct...
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #3

I've looked at all of those except the U-Joint and the Clydesdale. Of the conversions listed, I would go with QuadVan. Their conversion is the most professional (custom formed bracketry,etc.) and uses standard Ford parts so repair parts are readily available and it can be worked on at any Ford dealer.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #4

Thank you for your input. I live in British Columbia so Quadvan is not too far away. One of the issues I need to figure out is getting my van converted in the States and bringing it back into Canada.
On the 4x4 conversion does, Quadvan do the straight axle dana 60 or and IFS, do modification need to be made to the rear axle for width? What type of Dif's should I use.....locking or posi? I am not very familiar with 4x4 systems eg manual hubs or manual transfer case and so on, any recommendations?

Rick
Old 10-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #5

To reduce complexity I prefer a manual transfercase. Vacuum hubs are fine, because you can always lock them manually. For most use, a Limited Slip rear differential and an open front are used - as most 4wd systems come that way from the manufacturers. If you want more from your vehicle, a lockable front differential could be added.

Talk to Quadvan and see what they suggest and why - they are much more knowledgable than I am.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #6

Hello Mike

Thank you for the Info. Much to learn still.

Rick
Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #7

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
To reduce complexity I prefer a manual transfercase. Vacuum hubs are fine, because you can always lock them manually. For most use, a Limited Slip rear differential and an open front are used
This is exactly the configuration on my van that I just received from Quadvan. I haven't had it off-road yet, but I am very happy with the ride on the highway and in the city. Quadvan is a great company to work with. Be sure to set aside plenty of time before asking John any technical questions. He is knowledgeable and thorough, and it shows in his work.
Steve in L.A.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #8

It depends on what you want to do with your van. The F350 front end was not designed to carry a constant load that is equivalent to our fully equipped vans. Quigley is OK for snow and dirt roads but will get hammered if you plan on doing serious off road rock crawling. Dynatrac PR60 is as solid as any but it will need to be rebuilt periodically because of the weight of the vans. If you are going to stress the van in remote conditions and want to get home stick to the leaf spring conversions. There are some independent fabrication shops that will do a conversion. You want at least a Dana 6o for the hard stuff and consider a full floating rear. Unless you are touring Mongolia or the Amazon basin, I would not spend the money for lockers. If you are in that deep you risk doing serious damage to a fully equipped van. Compare the components and prices and then make a decision.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick934
Thank you for your input. I live in British Columbia so Quadvan is not too far away. One of the issues I need to figure out is getting my van converted in the States and bringing it back into Canada.

Rick
Hey Rick,

As long as your van is currently a Canadian vehicle you will not have any problems taking it down and having the conversion done and bringing it back. All you'll have to do is present invoices for all the work completed and pay the GST.

The only time you'll have a problem is bringing a U.S. van newer than 15 years to the month that has been converted already. It is inadmissable according to the RIV program and will not be allowed up here.

Ryan
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #10

Hello SteveInLa

Thanks for the info.....I've got an email in to QuadVan. As far as Vw's I still have "Brownie", 1985 Westfalia....400,000 mile, currently in retirement, can't seem to part with her.

Rick