Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #11

Re: 4x4 Tires for all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrain
I had both Nitto/Toyo on my Hummer, both were great. If you ask SMB West for the biggest, most agressive tire they will consider delivering on a new SMB (as of 4-weeks ago), it's these. Had never seen them before, but they say they work great. These are 35's on 17's. I've been warned that these will rub on the sway bars. Picking it up next week, so can't tell you anything else.

American Racing "THUGS"

LeadDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #12

My bad, they are 18's. And yes, I believe you are the "other guy who they had done that for". Good to hear that they are working well. I used either Nitto or Toyo on every off-road vehicle I have had. This is a big change. Thought I would add to the thread as an alternate choice.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #13

Hi All,

Some good info. being shared here!
Thanks to all those who have replied!

I have seen a lot of Toyo and Geolandar tires on pickup trucks and some SUVs. So it is good to read that Toyos are doing well on 4x4 vans!

I talked with John at Quadvan and they install and see many 4x4 vans and Search & Rescue type vehicles with Geolandar tires.

J.Whitbread, what is your source about Dick Cepek tires and that "they have the worst wear"?
Pesonal experience, or factual info. that we can read about?

k.crain, Did Sportsmobile give you any idea if the tires you bought are loud on the road?
The tread sure looks aggressive and are probably great off road, but what about on the road or doing long highway drives?

Some people have posted in this forum that BFG tires are soft and wear out fast.
That depends on a lot of things, like how and where one is driving.
Good to see that some people have a lot of miles on the BFG tires.
These tires are popular on this forum!

Any other tire suggestions or links would be appreciated!

Peace,

Zugg
Old 04-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #14

My Geos did not last long at all on my SMB. I currently have Toyos (MT) and I love them. I've had the Toyo ATs on other rigs in the past and liked them too (once siped)
Old 04-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #15

They said they are quiet.... but I have never driven them. I will be driving the new van this Friday from Austin to Dallas and will let you know.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugg
Hi All,

k.crain, Did Sportsmobile give you any idea if the tires you bought are loud on the road?
The tread sure looks aggressive and are probably great off road, but what about on the road or doing long highway drives?

Any other tire suggestions or links would be appreciated!

Peace,

Zugg
Zugg,

I have 15k miles on the Cooper Discoverer STTs and we have had no road noise issues. We drove from Tx to DC for 4th of July last year and road noise was not an issue. They do seem to perform very well off road as well.

I have ~250k miles on 31in Cooper Discoverer STs on a 1990 Nissan 4wd pu. The STs are not as aggressive, but also had no road noise issues.

Two points to keep in mind:
1. we keep the pressure close to the max cold pressure (65psi) all the time on road to increase our fuel economy
2. we drive 55 to 60 mph on the hiway to increase our fuel economy

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #17

Greetings,

Hey Greg, thanks for sharing about the Cooper tires, and a good point about maintaining proper tire pressure.

From the replies so far, it seems that some people like an aggressive tire and others like a more "tame" tire pattern. This is a personal choice, but it is valuable to hear from people that are happy with their tire selection.

Depending on the type of driving, going to the extreme on either spectrum has its pros and cons.
Fuel effeciency plays a big part. Traction is the other big part! Rocks, mud, snow, ice........

The point of this thread is to get feedback about tires that are good for all seasons.
Thanks for all the responses so far!

Peace,

Zugg
Old 04-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #18

Just had to pass this on.... I had the Eagle wheels that came on my SMB and I just started getting the cracking in the wheels that SMB sent a notice about. Anyway I went to Discount Tire in Reno to find out what could be done. It took a few calls, and the best I could do was to get the new American Racing wheels that are similar to the Eagles and SMB is putting on lots of the new rigs. Wasn't an even swap as I was going to have to pony up $45 per wheel, plus M&B. I did some checking and that is the additional cost of the American's over the Eagle's. Whatever, it was the best I could do and didn't want to drive on cracked rims.
That was the bad news.
When I went back to Discount Tire to get 'em mounted, (on my way to Baja yesterday) they mentioned that a guy just brought back a set of BFG 315's (same as I had and that I like) 'cause they were too big for his rig. They had almost 60 miles on them and couldn't be sold as a new tire. Looked pretty new to me as they still had the little nubbins that stick out of the tread. They said I could have them for $125 each and I talked him into including the mount, balance, and stems that I was going to have to pay for above and beyond the $45 on each wheel.
So, instead of the wheels costing me $45 each plus remount, balance and stems. I got them for an even $45 and A SET OF NEW 315 BFG's FOR $125 EACH!!!. I wasn't going to get tires till I got back from Baja, but I felt sorry for the Tire Shop and made the deal.
I'd like to say it was due to clean living, but those of you that know me, well....
So, I'm a little happy and will also be crossing the border on my way south on the morrow.
Sometimes life is good!!!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #19

Probably doesn't belong in this topic, but I noticed that EarthRoamer was trying some new tires. They are Continental MPT 81. They have them on 20" rims, but they look beefy. It's a nice vehicle, but I don't know if I would want one even if I could afford it.

http://www.earthroamer.com/galleries/mpt81/
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #20
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
My Geos did not last long at all on my SMB. I currently have Toyos (MT) and I love them. I've had the Toyo ATs on other rigs in the past and liked them too (once siped)
I know the BFG Mud Terrain's are noisy.. Are the Toyo Open Country M/T's or Cooper's, quieter if not the same compared to the BFG AT's?
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote