Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 10:32 PM   #31

Re: Adding 1

I currently tow an 8500# trailer and installed Roadmaster Active Suspension to help with the tongue weight. Mine is very heavy even with my weight distribution hitch. They really only come into play when under heavy load. I installed these on the new van because I felt this is what was happening to my previous SMB with airbags. As Ramsey from Agile Off Road explains in detail viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14704&hilit=air+bags .
So the airbags are not an option for me. The Roadmaster works well when the trailer is hitched up but does not give any extra height to the rear when not hitched. I'm leaning toward adding leafs to current spring pack. I'm just looking for someone that has added some with an opinion on the ride changes.

Steve

outopawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #32

I had the same issue with the long back pluss all my added accessories lowering the back and creating too much rebound. Took it to Deaver who added a few leafs. I have a 2WD with the Camburg Pk

Quite happy now, it did cost a bit but you are welcome to look at it and perhaps DIY
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #33

Same issue that everyone needs to deal with here. I guess most work with blocks + having a lower tail.

Adding leafs does not only add height but mostly will change the the suspension curve to a harder ride. The setup will work from a harder start upwards to a setup for more weight.
Its ok if you want a harder ride anyway. But if you don´t the set will get worse.
derJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #34

I had an extra 2nd leaf added in addition to my RIP add a leaf after about 6 months. The RIP add a leaf is now the 3rd leaf. It is a bit stiffer a ride but I still get good articulation. Full military wrap in front and half wrap on the rear eye.

Atlas Spring in the City of Industry, CA did the work.
DesertDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #35

So, I finally got my spring and shocks installed and am very happy with the results. It was a dog fight - all of the fasteners were rusted in place. I used the Moog CC880S progressive springs and 4 of the Bilstein #25-177480 shocks. I haven't experienced any crashing onto the bump stops. The van just behaves and drives much, much better all around. A pleasure to drive, and the wife doesn't mind driving it now.

I also replaced by track bar and the 4 links - torque bars? I think the track bar replacement made the single biggest difference. No more "vague" feeling when going straight - no more constant steering corrections.

Now I have to tackle the "down by the stern" issue. I think I only need about 1" of lift in the rear. I'm thinking of getting as set of 2" blocks and cutting them down. I'm very close to the top of the garage with my roof rack. I think I can go up 1" - but I'll have to measure. Of course, I'll have to add shock extenders to my brand new shocks once I put the block in - I could've thought that out better.

Cheers! B
Belltownbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #36

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belltownbikes
Now I have to tackle the "down by the stern" issue. I think I only need about 1" of lift in the rear. I'm thinking of getting as set of 2" blocks and cutting them down. I'm very close to the top of the garage with my roof rack. I think I can go up 1" - but I'll have to measure. Of course, I'll have to add shock extenders to my brand new shocks once I put the block in - I could've thought that out better.

Cheers! B
You already have ~3.5" blocks in there now and you should never stack them.

Also you cannot simply cut a block in half as the have centering pins and sockets cast into them.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:54 AM   #37

Of course you are right Mr. Agile - I had to peek under there to make sure. So, I don't think 5" of blocks under the spring is the way to go to solve the issue. What do you do at the rear to level things up once you install your RIP? B
Belltownbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #38

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belltownbikes
Of course you are right Mr. Agile - I had to peek under there to make sure. So, I don't think 5" of blocks under the spring is the way to go to solve the issue. What do you do at the rear to level things up once you install your RIP? B
We offer a full length Add-a-leaf that will lift the rear an inch or more depending on the van. Either that or a complete new set of springs.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #39

Ramsey's idea is better, but I was able to find the proper lift blocks from 4wheel parts. As I recall, it took a lot of sifting through the millions of lift blocks they stock. Anyway, hindsight being 20/20 I'd get the add a leaf. I also had airbags already and have used them to level a bit when heavily loaded.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:05 AM   #40

Would lift blocks be ok instead of the add-a-leaf if I have a cargo van and don't intend to add a bunch of weight in the back? My E350 rides pretty nicely now but I would like to increase the FRONT end travel, and with that, match the rear height to the front. Thanks!