Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
An Unsatisfied Deaver Spring Customer

Never been happy with the Deaver set-up on my SMB conversion. I've been playing with shock pressures to no avail, and have been driving for the past few days with the sway bar disconnected--made no difference. When I built Syncros, driving without the sway bar left the van pretty much undriveable.

I think Deaver made the front spring rates way too high. On secondary paved roads, like the one to Point Reyes lighthouse, it was unbearable. Shouldn't disconnecting the front sway bar make a huge difference? What are your thoughts Hobson--or whomever?

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #2

Re: An Unsatisfied Deaver Spring Customer

Have ya talked to deaver??
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Have ya talked to deaver??
They haven't been responsive for some reason.

Z

Old 12-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #4

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Perhaps I can help. I do a lot of suspension tuning, shock valving... in Off-road Racing. I am not in business and not looking for work, just willing to help. You are welcome to call (619) 204-9772.

Just a few points:

What shocks do you have? I ask because in most cases shock pressures will have little to no affect on what you are doing. Valving on the other hand can play a big role.

What difference are you looking for when disconnecting the sway bar? It has no effect on the spring rate when the wheels move together, only when the move independently - so on a washboard road it should make little difference, but will make a difference in axle articulation.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #5

Before and after I had new leaf springs installed I never noticed more than a modest change in the ride on washboard with the sway bar dis-connected. It does help, but the difference is not huge.

I think the constraint is the weight of a typical SMB. There is only so much you can do to improve the off road ride of a 10k pound vehicle.

R
Old 12-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #6

Garage

Lower your tire pressure. 60-70lbs is too hard for off-road conditions. The small bumps and washboard will smooth out. I run 35-45lbs in the dirt. Leaf springs are there for the big stuff. Sway bars have no affect on absorbing bumps, they keep the vehicle upright in turns and allow more articulation when disconnected.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #7

I disconnected the front sway bar so the front shocks can work more independently despite the solid axle. The front tires usually hit obstacles individually, but the sway bar raises the effective spring rate since the front wheels are hooked together. Shock pressures will affect rebound. When I had them too low, I could feel the axle dropping too quickly.

The road to the lighthouse was paved, but in poor condition. I couldn't wait to get off it--worst road experience I've had with the SMB. Really don't wanna hafta air down for paved roads too.

I have emails and phone messages into Jeff at Deaver, so, if he responds, I'm going to ask him if the Bilstein reservoir shocks could have been valved incorrectly and what the spring rate is. The rear seems better.

Z

Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #8

Garage

I don't now where the 60-75psi figure came from, but if we're talking off road only (which I don't think the OP was doing) I'm usually down to 25-30 psi.

I've thought a lot about the Deaver swapout, but frankly, I don't mind the ride of my stock '07 SMB 4x4.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:12 AM   #9

I have noticed little or no difference in the ride of the Quigley when I installed new National Spring pack a few months ago.

I was very clear with what improvement I was looking for and was assured it would make a significant difference in that area. As I mentioned little or no difference was made. Obviously very disappointed I spent that money with no results.

I hear such good things about Deaver on here that I plan on trying their pack when my build out is done. A little concerned that I may have the same results though. I can't see how the two companies product could be that different.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #10

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Shock pressures will affect rebound. When I had them too low, I could feel the axle dropping too quickly.
If lowering the pressure had any appreciable affect, which it won't, it would be the opposite.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote