Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #71

Im50Fast's E350 with 97,000 miles on Michelin LTX A/T 2 with before and after pictures:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...x-tires-2.html

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #72

Another bump. It's time to replace the GY Duratracs and I want to go from 16" to 17" rims as I migrate to bigger brakes. Which means the Duratrac is not available in a 35" size unless I go 18 wheels. My short list is:

1. Toyo AT II's (70lb)
2. BFG All Terrain KO2's (65lb)
3. Toyo RT's (74 lb)

The RT has the most aggressive tread. Either Toyo option adds weight at each corner. The R/T is the most aggressive tread somewhat similar to the GY Duratrac. I'm not too concerned about mud or snow but the Duratracs were way better than the old style BFGs. Seems like I'm back to BFG as a good all rounder. I confess some of it is looks and the newer BFG looks meaty but without shouting look at me I've got a Mud terrain but all I drive is pavement! Toyos are heavy and adding more weight out at each corner is going to hit the mileage but I really don't have any other tires on my list or that are available at Discount tire.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #73

JoeH: Just my experience. Somewhere on this forum is my discussion about the 17" Toyo AT's which were put on by Salem-Kroger when it was converted to 4x4. I ran at least three sets of them -- because they continually had "bumps" from tread separation or steel delamination. Never had that problem with the Hercules Trail Digger studded snow tires so maybe it was a problem with the Toyo. Pm Im50Fast over at ford-trucks.com
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:05 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
JoeH: Just my experience. Somewhere on this forum is my discussion about the 17" Toyo AT's which were put on by Salem-Kroger when it was converted to 4x4. I ran at least three sets of them -- because they continually had "bumps" from tread separation or steel delamination. Never had that problem with the Hercules Trail Digger studded snow tires so maybe it was a problem with the Toyo. Pm Im50Fast over at ford-trucks.com
Yeah, I've read mixed reviews on the ATII. The mud terrain seems to be the one folks like. One reason I was angling toward the RT and maybe the best of both worlds. I don't really need an MT in the southwest. I'd probably just stick with Duratracs but they don't come E rated in a 17". BTW I post as 6.0vanman on FTE.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #75

Garage
fwiw i got 35k out of my at2's and could have kept them longer but winter was coming and once they are near the tread bars they are 100% worthless in the snow. however not one flat entire time i had them on the rig, and no other issues whatsoever either. they were 285/75/16's.

was forced to go to 17's with the sterling rear end and bought the ko2's. great in the snow for sure. just like any other non mt in the sticky mud. happy with them on pavement. good manners, but have heard they will be short lived. some here say thats incorrect and i hope to follow their lead. 17" tires jump a lot in price over 16's and have less size options in the brands i like.

been seeing more and more good reviews about generals and coopers. will give a serious look at the mastercrafts (made by cooper) next time its time for new rubber. coopers are priced right and the mastercrafts are rebranded coopers for significantly less moola.

either way you go, good luck. tire shopping gets tiring (pun intended). 5 of any offroad tire for these vans is some series coin drop.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #76

Got the BFG AT KO2's installed and man what a difference in ride. Riding and handling are significantly improved. The Toyo's even when new never rode near this good. Its a much softer ride IMO. Its so much easier to steer for some reason and almost seems to have a tighter steering radius probably because I can reach the pressure regulator without having to muscle the steering wheel. Although both tires were the same size the BFG's seem to be a little more narrower from the looks. Like the new sidewall design.

NTB has a buy 2 get 2 free deal right now that discount tire will usually match. I saved around $200 and Toyo credited me $90 for the tire with bulge. Discount tire was great to work with.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #77

I have put about 10K miles on a set of Cooper Discovery ST Maxx's and will say that I am quite impressed. KO2's were my first choice but they don't come in the size I needed for my dually ambulance rig (255/85/16). I have found them to be aggressive offroad but fairly quiet for highway use.
Oddly enough; while travelling throughout Baja this winter I met quite a few Europeans running the same tire on their rigs (LR Defenders/Iveco 4x4/VW LT40). Apparently in EU the ST MAXX's have a great reputation
SLACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater View Post
Got the BFG AT KO2's installed and man what a difference in ride. Riding and handling are significantly improved. The Toyo's even when new never rode near this good. Its a much softer ride IMO. Its so much easier to steer for some reason and almost seems to have a tighter steering radius probably because I can reach the pressure regulator without having to muscle the steering wheel. Although both tires were the same size the BFG's seem to be a little more narrower from the looks. Like the new sidewall design.

NTB has a buy 2 get 2 free deal right now that discount tire will usually match. I saved around $200 and Toyo credited me $90 for the tire with bulge. Discount tire was great to work with.
I don't see that promotion. Buy 2 get 2 free is insane. I buy all my tires at Discount. Just waiting until the Memorial Day sale.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #79

I just purchased the ko2's in the 315/70/17(35") last Thursday. I already love them. Super quiet and ride much better. I have the dura tracks on my truck and they are much louder on the road then the Ko2's.

Purchased at discount tire
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLACKER View Post
I have put about 10K miles on a set of Cooper Discovery ST Maxx's and will say that I am quite impressed. KO2's were my first choice but they don't come in the size I needed for my dually ambulance rig (255/85/16). I have found them to be aggressive offroad but fairly quiet for highway use.
Oddly enough; while travelling throughout Baja this winter I met quite a few Europeans running the same tire on their rigs (LR Defenders/Iveco 4x4/VW LT40). Apparently in EU the ST MAXX's have a great reputation and are popular despite being manufactured in USA .....
I looked at that tire as well but unfortunately the LT315/70R17 is not E rated. Same for the Duratrac in 17". The Coopers certainly get lots of hype on Portal.