Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2022, 03:33 AM   #11

Garage
Wish you the best SierraHawk. Being on the East Coast I am not in a position to help.

Old 08-22-2022, 10:44 AM   #12

I seem to recall reading about this situation before. My question is: why is it only a 30 spline axle to begin with? That is not factory, in fact, it is SMALLER than stock. Sounds like someone had already ordered a 30 spline diff, then realized that e-series used 32 spline, so they got custom axles to suit the smaller diff instead? Either way, those shafts are just too dang small for your van and you're going to break them again. The stock e-series full float housings will accept 35 spline shafts (which would be a significant upgrade in strength vs the downgrade to 30 spline) without modification, but you'll also have to replace your limited slip.

For the time being, is there any reason not to just order a "cut to fit" 30 spline shaft? https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-76...line-33-5.html
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:39 PM   #13
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ya, I was going to say something about the 30 spline as well, I’m pretty sure that you have to go to 35 spline axles to be compatible with running a Truetrac. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s what I had to do on our rig and now on a project van I’m building. Unless there’s one compatible with 30, stock is 32 spline and there is not an available Trutrac for 32. I’d double check the specs on those axles, might be the problem
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:56 PM   #14

Response from Randy's:

"Michael, my name is Gary Grant the Sales Manager at RANDYS. Unfortunately these cut to fit axles are no longer available. Unless you can find another resource the only way we can help is to have the exact measurements and we possibly can find a direct fit axle but no guarantees."

Not sure what those of us whose vans are equipped with a full float Dana 60 and an after market diff like a True Trac can do if an axle breaks. This is the second time that Randy's has not honored its warrantees. Any solutions to this dilemma would be greatly appreciated.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:26 PM   #15
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Well…..I’d make some phone calls to some shops that deal with this stuff. For one, Chris at Ujoint comes to mind or Justin at the CO location(been super responsive) also Don at Boulder offroad, best to shoot him an email.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 11:50 PM   #16

Well that's just the thing, you're going to want to (when you're not under a time crunch) replace your truetrac with the 35 spline version (it might even be possible to just replace some of the internal parts?) along with 35 spline axles. I bought my 35 spline full float axle shafts from Dutchman and it was a painless experience. I dug up an old post of mine that has measurements that may be of use to you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
As much as I wanted to trust my internet research, I just couldn't so I pulled my axleshafts out today.

The Dana/Spicer part numbers are stamped on the end of the axles.

Driver's side (Dana/Spicer #43811-17) measured 37.64" from the inside of the flange to the end of the splines.

Passenger side (Dana/Spicer #43811-16) measured 34.92" from the inside of the flange to the end of the splines.

Bolt circle is 8 on 3.96" with 0.45" holes (7/16" bolts) and 4.72" O.D. flange.

I ordered those exact lengths/ flanges but with 1.5" diameter (stock spindle I.D. is 1.585") 35 spline axles from Dutchman Motorsports http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/flanged-fl ... -pair.html Cost was $305 + shipping for the 1541H material or $345 for 4140 (I ordered the 1541H) and they said they would ship out Monday or Tuesday.

Hopefully this saves someone a headache in the future.
I thought the cut to length shafts I had linked previously were in stock, but if not I guess if they drop ship they're not actually on the shelf and you already heard it straight from the horses mouth since Randy's owns the Yukon brand... but there is still hope!: Nitro Gear makes the same thing https://www.krawloff-road.com/produc...-gear-and-axle hopefully one of these (and some help from a "local" metal/machine shop) can get you going. You can seriously just cut them with a band saw and dress the splines with a hand file.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:19 AM   #17

In Bishop, Have Machine Shop, Willing to Help

SierraHawk,

Just saw this thread this morning, so I don't know if this response will be timely enough to be of any help, but if you make it back down to Bishop to your Mom's house, I live about 15 miles outside of Bishop and have an understanding wife and a pretty complete machine shop - including a lathe that can cleanly trim any new axle shafts you acquire to their proper length.

Please PM me if this would help . . .

Timerider
Old 08-25-2022, 12:40 PM   #18

Just saw this today. I am near Tahoe and have the original Dana 60 semi floater out of my van. If you can’t find / get axles you could install this rear end to get you going.
JJ72Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 01:10 PM   #19

Any updates?