Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2023, 10:34 AM   #1

Conversion report - Advanced 4wd

Hi all -

quick report on recently completed conversion at Advanced 4x4 in SLC - went in with eyes wide open (I am well aware of some of the negative feedback here), but at the end of the day, budget, timing, and easy pickup logistics ruled the day and I was satisfied after couple conversations with Randy I could successfully work with him. Yes, communication can stall and require follow-ups, but overall it was fine. If I read the tea leaves correctly, this is perhaps a consequence of being geared toward high volume hands-off commercial customers, as opposed to the overland hobbyist crowd for whom the project is a big personal event. He is also not a one-man show, Shane especially, as well as the office staff were available and generally helpful. Factory tour on pickup checked out, shop seems well organized and it was impressive to see some of the heavier equipment they work on.

My van was a 2008 RB E-150 (5.4, 3.73 semi-float D60 LSD rear - B4 code) going in, Fresno 2wd SMB build that looked like new with ~25K miles when I bought it last year from the original owner, so I figured it was still worth converting.

Ended up with a ~4in lift (though feels higher - haven't measured), new Dynatrack 60 with Eton TrueTrac upfront, leaf springs with Bilstein shocks, reman NV271 case, warn hubs, and that's about it - cookie cutter E-series build they cranked out hundreds, probably thousands of over the years there, sounds like. Rear untouched with only oil change/friction modifier in the factory LSD. Stock steelies swapped for 17" AR172 Baja with Toyo AT3 LT265-70-17 (so just shy of 32", they run a little bigger new). Van weighed in at 4100F/4400R with full fluids and ~600lbs of bodies and gear onboard at a nearby CAT scale (I never weighed it before, unfortunately, that would have been interesting datapoint). I ran 45F/60R psi on highway to start (per Toyo's load table equivalent for the original 60/80). Down to 35/45 on dirt and ~27/32 on loose sand, though could likely go even lower, not much sidewall bulge noted.

So far put close to a thousand miles on the setup mainly coming back to California, 80% freeway at 65mph, rest in 4H on dirt, and some 4L soft sand, big washouts, etc . Mileage is about 10-15% down from stock (so ~13-14mpg average - 9% GPS/speedo error accounted for). Ride subjectively excellent (I can't tell any difference from the original coil suspension). Acceleration somewhat worse with the ~3.45 effective ratio, but still fine (this impression could be also tainted by the fact I have not previously operated the van at higher elevations - once back at sea level it seemed normal, though I perhaps also just got used to the new feel by then).

Overall definitely a whole new "attitude" - performance in sand and rough dirt roads was impressive, can't wait to start expanding the envelope. May re-gear for true 33's+ and full locker in the rear if I stick with the van, but happy with the compromises right now and had $ left over for basic quality recovery gear.

I'll post some pics of the underbelly when back home - fabrication and hardware seem solid, but I am not a welder. Only time will tell on longevity and parts support, of course.

Martin

mkosina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:23 PM   #2

It’s nice to hear your happy with your conversion. I have to imagine that after all these years, they have fine tuned their conversions. My 2001 Advanced conversion has for the most part been great with just a couple minor workmanship issues years ago. All in all, I’m very happy with mine too.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:19 PM   #3

I'm happy with mine too....although I've done some upgrades over the years.

2008 E-350 5.4L D60 Kingpin and NP271 from Advanced...for whatever reason the front brakes where chevy truck/suburban from the conversion; I've since upgraded to F-450 rotors and stock 2008 calipers.

Mine had 3.73's...re-geared to 4.10's with 285/70-17's..huge difference, very happy.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:58 AM   #4

Great update thanks. May I ask what the conversion cost?
M500E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 08:24 AM   #5

They quote on specific vehicles here: https://advanced4x4vans.com/request-a-quote/

I will say that on mine, it was significantly lower than UJOR (and very competitive with some of the other west coast reachable alternatives) - don't doubt that's a great product but didn't see myself dropping that kind of cash into a 15 y/o, out-of-production vehicle.

That said, the process may not be for everyone - I had an overall positive experience but this is a no-frills fleet approach for sure, with zero upsell or much component discussion; no daily Instagram updates on your "build" here.

With respect to the parts roulette some old posts here mention - it sounds like things may have been standardized since, if I understood correctly its now new Dynatrac 60 front + remanufactured NV271 tcase on all E series conversions.
mkosina is offline   Reply With Quote