Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2023, 11:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by motovan_mn View Post
Nice, looks like a great option.

My desire to find a single floor jack solution is more about storage space than cost savings. An integrated jack/stand solution somehow seems better than having two floor jacks. Maybe not totally logical, but... this is pretty high on my list now
I absolutely hear you on the storage space! You can even hang jackstands on the wall (although ironically, my combo jack+stands store beneath my "stack" in this picture, where the roll cage tubing and 80/20 is sitting).

Old 09-28-2023, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
I absolutely hear you on the storage space! You can even hang jackstands on the wall (although ironically, my combo jack+stands store beneath my "stack" in this picture, where the roll cage tubing and 80/20 is sitting).

Great inspiration! Judging from this photo, I imagine the rest of your garage/shop is quite impressive. You building race cars in there?

Our detached garage is definitely in need of a refresh. We plan to tear it down and build a new structure that utilizes all 676 sq ft that the city allows. Not sure if we'll be able to squeeze in a garage door that is tall enough for the van (max roof height limitations), but that would be the ideal goal. Otherwise the garage will just have to be for motorcycles and the family car.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 12:03 PM   #13

Except no wheels so moving the removed axle is significantly more difficult.

Having said that, I have never used the jack/stand combinations.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by motovan_mn View Post
Great inspiration! Judging from this photo, I imagine the rest of your garage/shop is quite impressive. You building race cars in there?
Thanks! I used to think a 3-car garage was HUGE, but it's amazing how quickly it fills up when fabrication is a hobby. It used to be race cars, but any more it just seems like I'm always doing maintenance or fixes! Admittedly, I've grown soft--I've gone from fixing and modifying vehicles in the street or driveway to pissing and moaning about having to go into my heated and air-conditioned garage to do work.

Quote:
Our detached garage is definitely in need of a refresh. We plan to tear it down and build a new structure that utilizes all 676 sq ft that the city allows. Not sure if we'll be able to squeeze in a garage door that is tall enough for the van (max roof height limitations), but that would be the ideal goal. Otherwise the garage will just have to be for motorcycles and the family car.
Working on the van indoors would be amazing! Perhaps to the chagrin of my neighbors (who are quite nice and very understanding), I've done all my van work outdoors. If nothing else, it forces me to bust things out quickly instead of procrastinating so I don't get in trouble with the neighbors/HOA/code enforcement.

I'd highly recommend considering a mini split heat pump in your new garage. I've had a gas infrared heater for years and it's awesome, but I just installed a mini split last fall and it's an absolute game-changer. I didn't go with a low-temp capable heat pump because I already have the heater and only wanted A/C; but if I were doing it now, I would definitely run the numbers to see if it could keep up with heat loss in the winter as well.

Sorry to go off-topic!
Old 09-28-2023, 02:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
Except no wheels so moving the removed axle is significantly more difficult.
Excellent point! I haven't had to do that yet, and I can't remember why it wasn't a problem when I put the new springs in. I suppose you could jerry-rig the stands on top of some dollies, but that seems like asking for trouble. What would the "right" solution for this type of work look like? A cradle atop a floor jack?
Old 09-28-2023, 03:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
Excellent point! I haven't had to do that yet, and I can't remember why it wasn't a problem when I put the new springs in. I suppose you could jerry-rig the stands on top of some dollies, but that seems like asking for trouble. What would the "right" solution for this type of work look like? A cradle atop a floor jack?

If you were only replacing the springs you wouldn't need to move the axle, only raise and lower the van. Technically, you could do it with the axle still on the ground on tires, but accessibility would be terrible.

If I needed to move (swap) axles in that situation, I would use 2 floor jacks.
Axles on tires are not too difficult to move either, if you have the clearance.
A floor jack with a transmission adapter would probably work OK.

If I needed to move and store the axle short term I usually use the harbor freight car dollies. If it's long term it goes on a pallet and my tractor finds a place where it's out of the way.

https://www.harborfreight.com/materi...ies-67338.html

Old 09-28-2023, 03:36 PM   #17

Sorry in advance....

As someone who worked on the ground in the dirt or gravel, without even a pavement or concrete pad or any kind of cover or a garage to park in for the first 20 years of wrenching, I gotta share where I'm at now...

(I don't usually work on Semi Trucks, but if the stacks and sleeper aren't to high, they will fit)
Attached Thumbnails
20220914_165127.jpg   0802220949_HDR.jpg  
Old 09-28-2023, 05:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Sorry in advance....

As someone who worked on the ground in the dirt or gravel, without even a pavement or concrete pad or any kind of cover or a garage to park in for the first 20 years of wrenching, I gotta share where I'm at now...

(I don't usually work on Semi Trucks, but if the stacks and sleeper aren't to high, they will fit)
Living the dream! I'd be 100% ok with this thread turning into a "share your garage" thread instead
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 05:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Still $219-239 depending upon model. That thing came out a couple months after I paid $700 for the snap on one. I could've bought 3.
Yeah but there's a reason the Chinese knock off is 1/3 the price and it's not all cheap labor. A friend of mine had his wife helping him once and though it was not a jack failure the car shifted and fell. She was totally trapped but thank god the pressure on her was not enough to hurt her till he could get it off her. I guess my point is be careful and go heavy duty overkill safe whatever you do.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 07:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
Yeah but there's a reason the Chinese knock off is 1/3 the price...

Thats true, but I've seen a $5000 made in USA aircraft jack fail and drop a $5 million helicopter. Any time your relying on hydraulics you should be wary. Weary?

My 2 post has locks every 4 inches. Before I climb under anything I make sure the jack stands are settled, locked, and secure. I would hope everyone around here does the same.

Honestly, I'm much more likely to purchase cheap a$$ chinese garbage for heavy lifting... I'm a heavy weekend user and can't justify the cost of the real stuff. Not fine electronics, I get those from Korea. I'm pretty sure my Snap On floor jack is a chinese product....