Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
You can debate which van (GM,Ford, Mercedes) is better until the cows come home as everybody has their opinion and preference.

I suggest you FIRST focus on which 4WD conversion you will purchase. Decide what are your real needs, wants and desires BEFORE you choose if you go GM or Ford for the van. There are several good van 4WD converters out there and a BUNCH OF HACKS!

Deciding which 4WD conversion YOU believe best matches your wants, needs, desires and budget will dictate which van (GM or Ford) you choose to purchase. Lot's of Ford van 4WD converters out there and just a few GM van 4WD converters to choose from.

Decide the brand/installer of the 4WD conversion FIRST! That will make the decision easy for you as to which van (GM or Ford) you choose to purchase!
Have to totally agree with vintageracer here. Currently owning a stock GMC van and a converted Econoline. Who does the conversion makes a big difference! I have a book of receipts proving it! 2001 Starcraft GMC Savana 93k miles bought for $1200. Runs like a champ never been in the shop. Rides like a Cadillac. Converted Ford E350 86k miles with all the bells and whistles goes in the shop after just about every outing. Have had to replace just about everything the "reputable" converter did. I've basically converted it twice. After my costly experience I would only use the converters that Ford/GM/Nissan actually stand behind unless you are mechanically inclined, have a shop, a bitchin set of tools and have lots of time to tinker.

keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytothestone View Post
After my costly experience I would only use the converters that Ford/GM/Nissan actually stand behind unless you are mechanically inclined, have a shop, a bitchin set of tools and have lots of time to tinker.
I think only Ford does any sort of aftermarket conversion approval? And they only approve Quigley and QuadVan. I don’t think SMB is factory approved but the current SMB 4x4 doesn’t seem to raise many complaints. I’ve never run across an equivalent program from GM or Nissan, but I’d love to read about if anybody has info.
carringb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytothestone View Post
Have to totally agree with vintageracer here. Currently owning a stock GMC van and a converted Econoline. Who does the conversion makes a big difference! I have a book of receipts proving it! 2001 Starcraft GMC Savana 93k miles bought for $1200. Runs like a champ never been in the shop. Rides like a Cadillac. Converted Ford E350 86k miles with all the bells and whistles goes in the shop after just about every outing. Have had to replace just about everything the "reputable" converter did. I've basically converted it twice. After my costly experience I would only use the converters that Ford/GM/Nissan actually stand behind unless you are mechanically inclined, have a shop, a bitchin set of tools and have lots of time to tinker.
Thanks I am only looking at Quigleys and Quadvan at this time. No transits currently in the pipeline due to the 10 speed auto. Chevy/GMC seems the way to go. I prefer a lowtop with a pop up anyway. Thanks for the help!
Glenn P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I think only Ford does any sort of aftermarket conversion approval? And they only approve Quigley and QuadVan. I don’t think SMB is factory approved but the current SMB 4x4 doesn’t seem to raise many complaints. I’ve never run across an equivalent program from GM or Nissan, but I’d love to read about if anybody has info.
Quigley has the approval of GM/Nissan like it does with Ford.

Product Overview

Product Overview
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:59 AM   #15

Hey Glen, I have a 2008 gmc dura max diesel, quigley 4x4 that is a 2010 Sportsmobile rv 50 conversion that may be what you are looking for. I’m not ready to post it on the forum for sale or air out all the details here just yet but you are welcome to call or text me at
(248) 882-1882 or email me at jdkh2001@yahoo.com.
Jdkh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #16

I had a Ford E350 with lift. I thought it handled well until I bought my Chevy Duramax and installed the Weldtec lift. Chevy / GMC suspension is smooth and it will run fire roads and most trails very well I you are running a lift.

Solid axle Ford is great if doing more difficult rock crawling. I don’t plan on any rockcrawling in my Sportsmobile...just trails and fire roads.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
I had a Ford E350 with lift. I thought it handled well until I bought my Chevy Duramax and installed the Weldtec lift. Chevy / GMC suspension is smooth and it will run fire roads and most trails very well I you are running a lift.

Solid axle Ford is great if doing more difficult rock crawling. I don’t plan on any rockcrawling in my Sportsmobile...just trails and fire roads.
I’ve had both as well and agree 100% with this. Quigley is GM approved I believe.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post

Thank you, I appreciate all the help.
Glenn P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4, chevy, quigley, transit