Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2023, 06:48 AM   #691

Ok people! First off thank you for the wealth of knowledge here. I am starting mine soon and am so glad you are here.

Some questions:

1. I believe you trim only the front of the engine crossmember, true?

2. What parts are needed from the truck with the front axle? Driveshafts?

3. It seems some of you have gone with no sway bar. Can these parts be deleted from the initial install?

4. Same with steering stabilizer. Is the van drivable without it?

5. In the instructions there is no mention about the spring perch/shock mounts. How do those attach?

Thanks in advance.
Travis

Teavisandcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 12:20 AM   #692

I don't know why someone hasn't chimed in by now, so I will.

> 1. I believe you trim only the front of the engine crossmember, true?

Yes, there is a template for this. However, I wouldn't do the full trim if I was to do it again. On my 2011, there are hydraulic lines that are exposed after the trim and I'm not planning on doing a lot of articulation anyway... if ever... so beyond being able to mount the track rod mount, I would have left the rest untrimmed to keep those lines protected. I mean, it can always be trimmed more later. Bit more difficult to put metal back.

> 2. What parts are needed from the truck with the front axle? Driveshafts?

The front axle with brakes, radius arms, track bar, and steering bar. The swaybar won't fit, so don't need that. I've not gotten as far as the driveshaft (running around in 2WD right now) but assumed it would need to be custom.

> 3. It seems some of you have gone with no sway bar. Can these parts be deleted from the initial install?

The van sway bar can be mounted by flipping around the frame brackets, but the function of the original sway bar is to make the double I-beam suspension seem like a solid axle. Once the F-250 axle is in place, you'll find that you have a lot less sway than a stock E-250, even with it lifted, on big tires, and in a stiff crosswind. I've seen no point to installing the sway bar.

> 4. Same with steering stabilizer. Is the van drivable without it?

Yes, but it will feel like a dead spot in the middle of the steering with zero resistance to movement. You can re-use the shock from the stock front suspension; there's no need to buy a new one, at least to start. So, for the cost of one Ford OEM bracket that mounts to pre-existing holes in the frame, you can have a steering stabilizer; which will make driving a lot more comfortable.

> 5. In the instructions there is no mention about the spring perch/shock mounts. How do those attach?

The normal way. When you take off the lower spring perches from the F-250 axle and chuck them in the scrap pile, you will see how the new perch mounts bolt on.
Kendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 10:16 PM   #693

Hey there,
Thanks for the response. I bought an axle the day after you responded, so perfect timing. As far as trimming, I was under the impression that was done for clearance for the front axle. So, just trim the drivers side where the trac bar mount goes?

I grabbed the front driveshaft just in case. Figured it could be modified.
Teavisandcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 11:22 PM   #694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teavisandcindy View Post
Hey there,
Thanks for the response. I bought an axle the day after you responded, so perfect timing. As far as trimming, I was under the impression that was done for clearance for the front axle. So, just trim the drivers side where the trac bar mount goes?

I grabbed the front driveshaft just in case. Figured it could be modified.

The crossmember cuts surprisingly easy using a 5 inch grinder and a cutoff wheel. Just mind your fingers and be careful. No need to use a cutting torch or anything extreme.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 08:22 AM   #695

It ain't rocket science. My 4 fingers are just fine.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 10:51 AM   #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teavisandcindy View Post
So, just trim the drivers side where the trac bar mount goes?
I'm out of town and unable to send a picture until the first part of October. I wasn't after extreme front suspension articulation for offroad with my van, just 4wd to navigate mountain snow and large tires to more easily roll over Forest Service roads. So, I regret the amount of crossmember trimming that I did. Like I said earlier, more can also be trimmed off later if you decide later that you need it. There's no need to do the whole template if it doesn't fit what you're after with your build.

There are differences with every engine and transmission combination. I believe that MG developed the kit with the Powerstroke diesel as his platform. Some things may differ for your van. For instance, the way the heater hoses are run on the later model 5.4 engine vans would lead to not using one of the bolt holes on the track bar mount for fear of it rubbing on a hose.

You're going to have to puzzle it out for your van. When you ask questions on this thread, be sure to include the year and configuration of your van. Yes, like every internet forum in existence, there are some jerks and wannabe's here, but there are also some helpful people that you'll learn to private message.

FWIW, the girlfriend and I drove back to Venice from Idyllwild yesterday in a stock 2wd non-lifted van. She was freaking out over how much the van rolled and bobbed as we went around curves of the mountain highway and kept demanding I slow down. I rarely got above 40 mph, since it was also freaking me out. After doing 4000 miles in the MG lifted van with none of those issues, we forgot how terribly the stock van drives, especially when loaded with stuff. You're going to like your "new" van when you get it driving.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:50 AM   #697

I don't think MG is selling kits anymore. At least according to Expovans.com
Old 09-26-2023, 03:11 PM   #698

I’d like to get the spread sheet you have for the parts I’ll need to install this mg metal works kit.
Thanks,
Jeff Grant
Griffin, Ga
Jgrantrealestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 11:08 PM   #699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrantrealestate View Post
I’d like to get the spread sheet you have for the parts I’ll need to install this mg metal works kit.
Thanks,
Jeff Grant
Griffin, Ga
Here's a version with some updates I put in with my build last summer but caveat emptor still applies. Use the spreadsheet as a starting point and double check as you go.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Van 4x4 Conversion - Updated June_2023.zip (57.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-14-2024, 03:55 PM   #700

Looks like I waited too long to get a kit... just got an email return from mg, no longer an email even. Look up on here and Expo and seems he is no longer making kits. Figures as i just finished my winter project of rebuilding the front axle and re painting it. Hope he has moved onto cooler stuff, his knowledge on these vans was always awesome.

Any chance anyone has a kit here they did not use and are willing to sell?

Worst case, anyone have a kit that I can make a copy of the trac bar mount and send it back to you? I really just need the track bar mount as I plan to use the WFO long arms and make my own radius arm mounts.

Thanks Ross
RC413 is offline   Reply With Quote