Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #1

New member-4x4 drag van

Hi everyone, first post! I recognize some of you from the other forums.
Here is my story....
I have an 03 E-350 2wd with the 7.3 Powerstroke that I got a little carried away with modifying considering this is my work van that I depend on everyday. I would imagine its pushing 600 at the wheels on a stock high mileage shortblock.

Here are a couple pics...
Compound turbos

Engine cover and gauge panel I was in the process of making

One of the trips to the dragstrip

A little much for my daily driven work van. So I am returning it back to stock. I had a texas window van shipped up to me, and all the hipo parts are going on here along with a fully built engine. I am also going to convert it to 4wd using 05 f250 front and rear axles.

The 4x4 conversion is what I am currently working on. I have the factory van suspension out and the f250 axle rolled under the van. The kicker, though, is that I want this thing low. As close to stock 2wd height as possible...I am going to have to cut up the crossmember and reinforce it.

I have never done a 4x4 conversion, so I am going to have a lot of questions. I never built a turbo kit either, but I managed to make that work pretty well!!!

So what is the minimum clearance I should leave at ride height for a van that will never be offroad? Street and dragstrip only. An inch? If so I think I can get it 3-4" lower. Will have to use short 4 link arms that I will have to make, but if the axle doesn't have a long arc of travel, this shouldn't be a problem? I want to get the crossmember hacked up today, and the reinforcement pieces tacked in.

Also, quigley uses an adapter for the transfer case that doesn't require an f series tranny output shaft?
I have an electric transfer case out of a 2000 f250. Talked to Midwest Transmission, and he can sell me the parts to convert it to manual. Will quigley sell me the adapter and will it work with this transfer case? nv271?

Thanks for any help, advice, laughing, etc.....

rpminc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: New member-4x4 drag van

Talk about a sleeper (at least from the outside)! Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Herb
Old 03-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #3

I can't tell you the minimum height, but the height between that cross memeber and axle on a Quigley (while sitting on the ground) is about 2". But suspension only travels up 1" from sitting.

Also, why convert the electronic 4x4 into a manual one? I would think the electronic 4x4 is a lot more desirable and probably no more difficult for you to fit at this point in the game, since it's already electronic.
I remember reading, but it could be wrong, that Quigley will not sell that conversion adapter for the transfercase, I believe there are a few other companies with similar items but none seem to sell them on their own.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #4

Now thats a turbo! Wow! I bet you've shocked quite a few people with this rig!

If you cut that x-member half of the distance, you'll be ok. Then cut the bottom flat. Since you won't be going off road, set the bump stops wherever you want so the diff doesn't smack the engine x-member.

And I wouldn't mess with the electric shift t-case. I'm curious to see what parts the tranny shop gives you to convert the 272?
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
And I wouldn't mess with the electric shift t-case.
Why is that? There was a 4x4 conversion on eBay the other day with one, I thought it looked a lot neater.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #6

Broncohauler-Thanks!
Sheepshagger-My original plan was to use the electric case and my own wiring and switches. Also, a switched vacuum solenoid to control the hubs. But its way too complicated. A manual case would be so much easier. Talked to a lady at quigley today, and she says they don't sell the adapter.
Ujoint-I got your sterling spring perches the other day, they look great! With the built engine, 65-70 psi of boost, and a bunch of nitrous, I am hoping to crack a high ten quarter.

I hacked the **** out of the crossmember today to get it as low as possible. Right now the axle tubes are about 1 3/8" from the inside bottom of the crossmember. Here is a pic of 17" wheels with 275/60 tires.

I'll get some pics tomorrow of the hacking and welding it back together if it doesn't rain.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #7

Chris, I am looking for a manual transfer case for about 300, so I can sell the electric one for about 300. If I can't find one by the time I need it, I will convert the one I have. I remember him saying something about front case cover and shift fork maybe?
Old 03-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #8

The wiring is a nightmare. Not easy. And they're never as reliable as a good ol stick in the floor!
ujointoffroad.com
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
The wiring is a nightmare. Not easy. And they're never as reliable as a good ol stick in the floor!
Thanks, that's good to know. I was warned off auto hubs for the same reason.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #10

I'll try to save you guys the pain!!!

RPM---If you dig long enough, you'll find the t-case for the right price. I think the perches will hold up, your van will give em the ultimate test!
ujointoffroad.com