Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #31
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Quigley refresh - suggestions?

Update on my improvements: I picked up the rig last week from boulder off-road, initial impressions are very positive, albeit an expensive one, but no regrets as something needed to be done when the original sway bar bushings were wallowed out, I decided to improve the entire setup after consulting with Don at Boulder Off-Road, he pointed out I was at my max for being able to scoot the axle forward any more, as well as my clearance issues. He and the crew did a great job, Aaron is truly a master fabricator. They removed the original sway bar, replaced it with a larger diameter hellwig unit mounted to a custom bracket and fabbed up some end links for proper install. They were also able to move the axle forward another 3/4", for a total shift of 1.5", they fabbed up a new driver side mount for the track bar to bring it back in spec and made some more clearance on the tie rod. The van now handles better than ever with much less body sway, allowing Agile's fox shocks to properly do their job without interference from excessive lateral movement. I will put it out there, Derek (CCV) installed his torque arms on my rig, it did take some cutting for clearance, but it did not seem to be that big of a deal, I do agree, that information should be known going into the project if you were to install them yourself, as an alternative to CCV's adjustable torque arms, Boulder off-road also builds new longer rigid (non-adjustable) torque arms as part of their quigley improvement package, they build them with a fixed added length to be able move the axle forward vs. being adjustable, I'm not sure if they require any cutting for install as they don't have the big knuckle of the heim joint. Anyway.......
Here's the before.....

After......

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #32

Re: Quigley refresh - suggestions?

Belltown,

Checkout my post for that extra 1" of clearance.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15831&start=15

Now I need a set of shocks that will work with these

Steve
outopawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by outopawn
Belltown,

Checkout my post for that extra 1" of clearance.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15831&start=15

Now I need a set of shocks that will work with these

Steve
Thanks! I put some information on that thread. B
Belltownbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #34

Checked out the Boulder site and was hoping to see photos and info on their torque arms. Did they mention a cost? I don't want to call and waste their time since I am not ready to upgrade at the moment. I would like to gather more info on the different options out there.

I know UJOINT does a de-Quiqley kit/package but I have a kingpin Dana 60 so not sure that would work. Ramesy at Agile could probably also fab up something nice as well.
Thanks for the review and photos.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta825
Getting ready to overhaul the front end of my '02 Quigley and make it Road-trip ready for 2015. Have a few questions for y'all regarding the easy or hard way to do a few things etc...

1. I'll be replacing the original 'recalled' Control Arms with the new Round ones from Quigley. Is there a recommended sequence of removing and replacing? On the ground vs van jacked up?? Top one 1st or 2nd?
Soooo... just took a look at my control arms and they are cracked. Wondering if I need to replace them right away, or wait until they get worse? Likely have done plenty of trips with them this way. What happens if they break clean through?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #36

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Soooo... just took a look at my control arms and they are cracked. Wondering if I need to replace them right away, or wait until they get worse? Likely have done plenty of trips with them this way. What happens if they break clean through?
You will be in some danger and trouble. If they are cracked, get them fixed or replaced. They can be welded up and reinforced or you can get upgraded replacement ones from Quigley. There are also aftermarket ones available.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Heres some used upgraded replacement arms: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16456
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Quote:
You will be in some danger and trouble. If they are cracked, get them fixed or replaced. They can be welded up and reinforced or you can get upgraded replacement ones from Quigley. There are also aftermarket ones available.
Any suggested location for reinforcing/welding them here in Orange County?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #39

Garage

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16456

In the for sale section. I bought used and had them re-powder coated.

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:39 AM   #40

Garage

Quote:
Soooo... just took a look at my control arms and they are cracked.
could you please post pix of the cracks? i keep an eye on mine, but id like to know where they are prone to cracking so i can isolate my quick checks better.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote