Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #21

Side steps

Here's my feeling on sliders and steps. I am more interested in the step portion - kind of like the sliders by Slee Offroad that I almost got for my Tacoma - scroll down a bit for photos:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/tac ... liders.htm

They are true sliders, but they provide a nice, running board type of functionality. I like that.

I have done a lot of off-roading, but I don't rock crawl much, so I have gotten away with no damage. Hence, I don't really want to add the extra weight - and every pound counts - of sliders if I don't get a good step from the, for me and the dog.

Based on all this, you might say, why not get some cheap, non-slider running boards? Because I cannot bear to.

So my thing would be to get something like the slee step sliders if I could have them fabbed up. Slee, if you didn't notice, charges an arm and a leg for theirs.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #22

Re: Rock rails - can anyone recommend?

The damage one may cause by NOT having them, far exceeds the cost of having them. JMO
Old 01-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #23

Like I said, I'm not worried about sheet metal damage from crawling - I don't crawl. I don't think they would really offer much protection in a side crash, either. I think they'd offer more protection from damage in the parking lot - for me, at least - than anything else.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for overbuilt, redundant systems. I like anticipating, armoring up, etc., but that's a lot of weight for MY purposes, maybe not anybody else's.

What I may do for now is get the Aluminess nerf/steps. It'll give me a step and some protection from other car doors at very low weight. I need to straighten out my electrical system, insulalation and paneling before I deal with sliders. Those project are going to take me till June.

By late summer, I may get into more trail armor, skid plates, etc., and I'll revisit the slider issue.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #24

My van is still languishing in OH awaiting shipment. However, I'll be at Extreme Off-Road this week for my Jeep. I'll talk to them about the interest I've seen here in the sliders.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #25

I was at Extreme Off-road today and mentioned the interest for rock sliders on the forum. Dave said it would be difficult to talk price before he gets a chance to take measurements. In OH my van still sits. The shipper claims there is a backlog from the holidays. If another week goes by I may just fly out and drive it back myself.

I digress. Dave promises lots of pics. He said he might jump on the forum as a vendor and post it himself.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage

My van is already a bitch to climb into so whatever is designed must be equal to or lower than my nerf boards. If that cannot happen, I'll probably stick with what I got now. Any way to add protection while leaving the Nerf boards installed?

If I add Deavers and tires larger than 285 16, I would rather have some sort of a step at the doors. If the sliders were designed to allow one of those auto steps to lower that would be nice. The main reason I never really wanted that type of step was fear of damage to it, so that would have to be taken into account for my purpose. I have a set of removable Warn boards on my pickup. Pull a couple pins and throw em in the back of the truck but that aint no good for a van. Maybe some kind of removable hoop step but the less I have to stow inside the better.

So far the only body damage has been on the tail end behind the rear tires. EB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

My van will be at SMB next monday and pick it up friday if all goes well. I can run it over there after its done. 09s might be different than an 06 though.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
My van will be at SMB next monday and pick it up friday if all goes well. I can run it over there after its done. 09s might be different than an 06 though.
Here's their website if you are not familiar with their location: http://www.extremeoffroadrepair.com/index.htm

They are 10 minutes from SMB tops. Custom work is their thing. So, if you want something specific to your needs, it couldn't hurt to talk to Dave and see if he can help.

OBTW, other than sometimes feeling like I should have purchased stock in them rather than 4x4 parts and service from them, I have no interest in Extreme Off-Road.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
My van is already a bitch to climb into so whatever is designed must be equal to or lower than my nerf boards. If that cannot happen, I'll probably stick with what I got now.
Too true, and clearance is never the issue for me... whenever there has been the slightest question, I just turn around and go some other way. The propane tank in only inches away from where I'd be lodged on a rock anyway. I'd rather have lower side steps than bulletproof ones... but again, it's not a Jeep, I beat the heck out of my Jeeps where rock rails are a must and body damage occurs on every outing... they didn't cost me a gabillion dollars either.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Don't let the present administration know that there's such a thing as a Gabillion dollars or we're REALLY gonna be in deep s*#t !!!
Bill