Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
You know, thinking that the RSC does about what an LS would do, maybe a locking rear would be a good future upgrade for offroad. Let the RSC handle pavement and snow and such, then throw the locker on for offroad.
That's basically the path Ford has taken on the pickups, except using an electronic locker.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:22 AM   #32

Eaton makes an electronic locker for the Dana 60. There are 35 spline right??

John is gonna give me a buzz today and talk this through a bit. I am interested in what he's got as options.

But I really appreciate the help and knowledge here. I am regretting that my automotive knowledge is small.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
But I really appreciate the help and knowledge here. I am regretting that my automotive knowledge is small.
No regrets... this is where we start, right? Share and share alike, we all benefit. I didn't know crap about any of this when I started but, thanks to people who were willing to teach me, I now know crap plus one. It's a journey.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #34

The semi-float Dana 60 is a 35-spline, but the full floats are 32-spline. So you have to either find a locker with a 32-spline option, or change the axle shafts (not hard.... unbolt end at hub, slide out).
Old 10-19-2016, 11:36 AM   #35

Eaton's 35 spline Dana 60 E-locker is 900 bucks. They only make the 35 spline from what I saw. I am gonna see what it might run me to have it installed when they do the 4x4. Who knows? Maybe Agile has a full float axle sitting down there.

I do think the Full Floaters are mechanically superior and obviously stronger, but then there's a part of me that thinks it might be folly, not sure my van will ever be heavy enough or I will offroad hard enough to really justify it. But I did try to start with the best van I could and WOW, that V10 is fast with an empty van. Surprised a couple people on the way to work today.

But at least I know I have some good options. I'd rather get it done all at once and be satisfied.

and yeah, all you guys up in Oregon are A-OK!! I am very grateful.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #36

Lots of folks here have somewhat heavy vans with semi floaters.....a few have had significant axle failures.....maybe 2-3 in the last few years.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #37

yeah, the thought of that happening makes me more than a little weary.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #38

Had a nice conversation with John from Agile this morning. He was very interested in what I had learned from this thread. He said he has done a few axles, but there can be issues and they actually had to reprogram the ECM to tell it the axle has 4.5 gears. We talked about limited slip and he could definitely put that in for me and he thought it might be helpful offroad and take some of the control away from RSC. I guess RSC and traction control are being federally mandated now. As an offroader, he is not a fan, times when you want some wheel spin it applies brakes, you can't fishtail on purpose etc. He has also burned up brakes offroading in his Jeep, I guess they have the same fun traction control as everyone else.

We talked about lockers as well, and I am still on the fence there.

So yeah, for now I think I will do the Limited Slip option on my current axle and keep looking for that full floater to come along. Maybe then consider a locker if I think it suits my needs.

EDIT: and I do see the differential housing and all the axle parts showing up on the ford parts sites for the 7800 lb full float. Best as i can add it up is some place between 2-3k, maybe more. I need some weekends in some junk yards poking around.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:43 PM   #39

Just saw this thread.

My van is at AO now, and John really is awesome. I've just started the limited slip conversation with him. I have a 2014 250 RB. I'll let you know how that goes. Like you a do a lot of snow driving, so the more wheels turning the better.

FWIW, I'm also getting the BFG AT KO2 285/70/17 with the same Method Grid that's on John's ride. Love the BFG AT. Great all around tire with awesome wear.
J.Spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Spicoli View Post
Just saw this thread.

My van is at AO now, and John really is awesome. I've just started the limited slip conversation with him. I have a 2014 250 RB. I'll let you know how that goes. Like you a do a lot of snow driving, so the more wheels turning the better.

FWIW, I'm also getting the BFG AT KO2 285/70/17 with the same Method Grid that's on John's ride. Love the BFG AT. Great all around tire with awesome wear.

Stoked!! Please post pics. I really can't wait. The method wheels are really nice, I decided on a little more understated, but I like their stuff a lot and will probably always wonder......

John has been terrific and very very helpful all the way through. I started the conversation with him before I even bought the van just to make sure they could do the conversion. He just got me some wheels today. Helping me manage details. We shall see about the LS vs open with the RSC, but it seems like a good decision right now. Would love to have a full floater, but maybe down the road when I can round one up.....I am running out of $$ quick anyway.

How long is your van there??