Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
The E-series has a huge vulnerability too... the plastic license plate housing in the rear door is one claw hammer or crow bar swing away from access through the rear doors. It is unbelievably easy to get in the rear door of an E-series if you took a look at how the door latch works inside. A buddy of mine has had tools stolen out of his van because of this access point. I showed him how it worked and he made some mods to his van so they couldn't do it again...They sure tried though. His rear door skin was ripped open a couple weeks later.
I'm a little late on this, but back in 2008 Ford was touting that they had fixed this:

All models feature a new, steel-reinforced license plate bucket. The E-Guard system installs in the steel bucket for added security, while the lock itself has been re-enforced with a steel flange.

"The steel reinforced license-plate bucket is nearly impossible to break through," said Brown. "And the flange on the lock eliminates the ability to use a screw driver or other tool to wedge out the lock. Our commercial customers can now feel as secure as the items inside their vehicle."

Did this not pan out? Is it a good upgrade for people with the 1993-2007 models?

beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #42

Had my door panel off last weekend. Can confirm, there is a metal thingy over the license plate thingy.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
I'm a little late on this, but back in 2008 Ford was touting that they had fixed this:

All models feature a new, steel-reinforced license plate bucket. The E-Guard system installs in the steel bucket for added security, while the lock itself has been re-enforced with a steel flange.

"The steel reinforced license-plate bucket is nearly impossible to break through," said Brown. "And the flange on the lock eliminates the ability to use a screw driver or other tool to wedge out the lock. Our commercial customers can now feel as secure as the items inside their vehicle."

Did this not pan out? Is it a good upgrade for people with the 1993-2007 models?
I just looked at my van ('13). It would be harder to get in with the updated license plate bucket but there are still some vulnerabilities. A couple good strikes in the right spot to break some plastic you still have access to the rod that can unlock the door.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I just looked at my van ('13). It would be harder to get in with the updated license plate bucket but there are still some vulnerabilities. A couple good strikes in the right spot to break some plastic you still have access to the rod that can unlock the door.
I'd be interested in an upgraded insert as well, if you come up with something.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #45

Seems like a rock to the window would allow access to reach in and unlock and open the door also.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #46

Happened upon a quigley transit up in Mammoth today. So me being a van weirdo now, I crawled around and got a couple pics of the front suspension. Looks to me like some sort of hybrid thing where they made the IFS into a straight axle type thing by tying it together with a large metal bracket for lack of a better word. Kind of a weird setup.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:33 AM   #47

There must be an A-arm in there? The tie-rod looks funny too. What type of springs are used?
DesertDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #48

It's still IFS. The angle of the photos is just masking the edge of the lower control arm where it runs into the lower suspension cradle.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #49

I thought so. There are no good pictures of the Transit suspension on the Quigley site.

Here is a description of the Quigley front end.
Quigley 4x4 Ford Transit Models
DesertDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:52 AM   #50

The Transit has a strut-style suspension...

The 4x4 conversions add in a front diff and some new knuckles that accept the front cv axles. There isn't much deviation from the original design overall though.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote