Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2024, 10:01 PM   #1

Warn hub hard to turn

A couple of weeks go I was camping in the Crooked River National Grasslands. When I locked and unlocked the front hubs the driver side engaged as usual. The passenger side knob was much harder to turn both locking and unlocking it. I have not had this problem before. Anybody else have this problem?

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 10:40 AM   #2

When is the last time you took them apart, cleaned them and relubed them? That one could have some dirt or corrosion in there...but it needs to be checked out or it may leave you stranded when you need it most.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Cleaned and lubed hubs are key, that's for sure. But inbetween cleanings, which we all put off, having a little extra help is justified, or when the weather is really cold and they like to stick.

Homemade tool in my aresenal.

Old 05-03-2024, 02:17 PM   #4

What size pvc did you select ? I'll brew up one for my tool kit ! Thanks -
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 09:56 PM   #5

That tool is an excellent idea. Will take the hub apart and lube it as soon as it stops raining.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Cleaned and lubed hubs are key, that's for sure. But inbetween cleanings, which we all put off, having a little extra help is justified, or when the weather is really cold and they like to stick.

Homemade tool in my aresenal.

I don't have a picture, but I use a pvc Tee of about the same diameter. (1 1/2 I think) The Tee portion makes a handle and give you lots of leverage.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
I don't have a picture, but I use a pvc Tee of about the same diameter. (1 1/2 I think) The Tee portion makes a handle and give you lots of leverage.
A Tee is what I use also.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:59 PM   #8
Site Team

I'll have to check the size and come back and post. Yes, a T-would make it even better, and I think I've seen some with a larger diameter "knob" instead which would also help. I was going for a quick tool build.

Herb
Old 05-04-2024, 08:41 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
I'll have to check the size and come back and post. Yes, a T-would make it even better, and I think I've seen some with a larger diameter "knob" instead which would also help. I was going for a quick tool build.

Herb
Herb, in all my years I've never encountered a problem adjusting my hub's, but after I viewed your post I immediately thought 'how ingenious"!

No doubt there are 50 ways to 'skin that cat', and your contribution had me contemplating my recourse if ever faced with the situation. Probably would have spread a pair of plyers and placed a 'jaw' on each side, then used the handles for leverage to turn them...in any case, I'm now prepared. It's innocent contributions (like yours) I find inherently useful. Kind of fun to see others have done similar.
Thanks!
Old 05-04-2024, 11:33 PM   #10

Quote:
I think I've seen some with a larger diameter "knob" instead which would also help.

We used to sell one like that, I believe it was called a 'Hubber'.

After looking at it I decided to make a copy from PCV.

Yup, here it is...

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/rp-the...ols/prod310138
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote