Originally Posted by FlaJoe
Fitz, thanks for the input. Can you also give us some feedback on the switch to the Falken tires????
Why the Falkens? Everybody has their reasons for the tires they choose. Two posts for further reference on this topic are #597 on page 60 and #420 on page 42. As for my choice, for me at this time:
1. I wanted a Load Range E 285/70/17. This is a common size, thus this wasn't a strong reason. In this size the Falken is 11.6" wide, what my research told me was that this was the widest tire I could fit with my Method wheels. I wasn't sure they would fit until they were mounted, the picture of the strut dust cover in post #670 above show that they just clear with no extra room to spare.
2. I wanted a 285/70/17 with the Snowflake rating. This tends to reduce the selection quite a bit, tires I gave serious consideration to included Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, BFG T/A KO2, Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac, General Grabber AT2, Hankook Dynapro AT-M and Nitto EXO Grappler AWT. Truth be told, I'm sure all would perform well, may we own Flint long enough to try a set of each!
3. While the BFG KO2's are popular and I liked them, I still had two flats in the three years and 42k miles I have been running them, see post #420 for pictures. I don't fault the KO2's for the bolt that caused flat #1, but I have since spoken to several people who have lost a KO2 to a sidewall failure like my flat #2. My research says that the Falkens have a thicker/stronger sidewall, that was a big consideration in my decision.
4. Our off road use case for the van most often finds us in the desert. An Overland Journal comparison that I read gave the Falkens high marks on dry rock with excellent adhesion characteristics, another big consideration in my decision.
5. Noise. AT tires like these are known to get noisy with age and the KO2's proved to be no exception. Quite frankly, I was tired of listening to them on the highway. Will the Falken's be any better? - Only time will tell. For now they are whisper quiet and I'm looking forward to our first long road trip with them.
Life has us quite busy right now (and for the immediate future), thus we can't break away and put the new tires through their paces. Something to look forward to...!