Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2024, 05:43 PM   #771

Overhead Console Light Replacement

Just because I was in there, I replaced the OEM overhead console light bulbs with LED's when I recently replaced the antenna assembly. These are the lights I used, new on the left and old on the right:

Replacing the bulbs didn't throw a code and the light is better, so I'll call it a win.

Like so many things, removal of the light covers and the console itself is easy after you have done it once. Here are some pictures that will help if you ever find yourself needing access to this area:

Old 05-10-2024, 08:42 PM   #772

On the Road Glass Repair - Worth the Time?

On our recent 28-day eclipse (and other things) trip we took a couple of rocks to the windshield. The windshield already had two existing horizontal cracks in it, one low and one high and each about a foot long, neither of which obscures the drivers vision. I was afraid that the new chips would spread to join the existing cracks, especially as we were heading into cold weather and at the beginning of our trip, so I picked up two repair kits and put them to use one afternoon prior to a day of hiking at Natural Bridges National Monument in Utah.

We continued on our trip and have since made it home and now it's been almost eight weeks since the repair with no additional cracking, thus so far so good.

What do you think, was it worth the time to make the repair to (hopefully) avoid having a visibility issue for the rest of the trip? The windshield has 100k miles on it so I know I am only extending the inevitable, but the windshield is a heated one with embedded wires in it and I know it's going to be an expensive experience to have it replaced when the time does come.

Was I just lucky or was the repair time well spent?
Old 05-11-2024, 06:59 AM   #773

I always carry a windshield repair kit in our van and repair any rock dings as soon as possible (within minutes would be best) to try to avoid cracking. The Sprinter windshield is a rock magnet because of the size and vertical position of the glass compared to most cars. I always carry a Permatex repair kit. They are $14 on Amazon and much cheaper than the cost of a new windshield or my insurance deductible. I am sure that they don't always work but it is a no-brainer to at least try them. Here is a good review of the different repair kits.

https://youtu.be/2fxxfZDOD1U?si=WkxDy9WynUOKfLRu
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 03:58 PM   #774

Interesting YouTube video, thanks for sending. I don't remember what brand the kits that I used were, they were the only ones available at the small auto parts store I went to, but I do remember that the two of them cost me almost $50 thus your advice to purchase the Permatex kits before they are needed is a sound one.

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade