Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2023, 06:36 AM   #31
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Being in the auto/truck glass biz once you're close on replacing the windshield contact a local installer checking if they'd bring one (new or other) to test fit properly in your repaired A-pillar and roof area--that would give you loads of information how close you are to a good fitting windshield.

Were I contacted about this I'd sell, deliver and test fit the glass for a combined price. Any damage to the glass while waiting for installation would be the customer's responsibility. The test fit would reveal if further body tweeking would be necessary.

Depending where you're located I could arrange a new w/s purchase if one of my supplies has an outlet close enough for your comfortable drive to retrieve the part. PM me if that's helpful.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 06:43 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Being in the auto/truck glass biz once you're close on replacing the windshield contact a local installer checking if they'd bring one (new or other) to test fit properly in your repaired A-pillar and roof area--that would give you loads of information how close you are to a good fitting windshield.

Were I contacted about this I'd sell, deliver and test fit the glass for a combined price. Any damage to the glass while waiting for installation would be the customer's responsibility. The test fit would reveal if further body tweeking would be necessary.

Depending where you're located I could arrange a new w/s purchase if one of my supplies has an outlet close enough for your comfortable drive to retrieve the part. PM me if that's helpful.
Excellent!
Sure beats the cardboard left/right template I was going to make for the upper channel.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 07:02 AM   #33

"Good enough...".
3M seam sealer in rain gutters.
Raptor liner with factory color tint applied. Had a few struggles using the HF HVLP gun but it's done now.
Windshield install next. I feel like the effort was worth it. My wife said we saved it from a trip to the junkyard so there's that.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0666.jpg   DSC_0678.jpg   DSC_0668.jpg   DSC_0676.jpg  
Old 07-09-2023, 07:08 AM   #34

Don't look too close, you'll see my terrible finish work. The Raptor liner cured out and hid a fair amount after this pic. Good news is most won't ever see the top.

At the end of the day not too bad after a ~15" diameter tree fell on it.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0669.jpg   DSC_0671.jpg  
Old 07-11-2023, 05:55 AM   #35
JWA

From these images the DIY repairs seem fairly well done and IMHO there's not a single thing to apologize for at the outcome.

Once this is back on the road and exposed to the elements watch areas of the heaviest repair in case minor tweaks are needed. The windshield would be my natural area of concern but any leaks should be readily visible. Do be sure to check under the dash under the floor mats for upper body leaks due the fallen tree damage to the areas where the roof joins the A-pillars.

Looking forward to your longer term reports how well these repairs hold up.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:36 AM   #36

"Splashdown..."

Veteran glass installer said preparation and fit was perfect!

Thanks to @JWA for sharing his time and expertise on the forum. DW1504GBY windshield installed and I will enjoy the darker top tint and full solar tinting over the original 1995 glass.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0686.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	47705

Our '95 Clubwagon Chateau lives to see another season of camping, towing, mountain bike and kayak hauling.

Old 07-12-2023, 02:24 PM   #37

Inspiring work--thanks for sharing
Chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 07:34 AM   #38
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
Inspiring work--thanks for sharing
Fully agree there---most impressive since your experience doing such "heavy" body repair is still growing!

Glad the W/S information worked out--and that the fit was perfect too!
Old 07-18-2023, 08:17 PM   #39

Update:
Van sat for a week while we were on vacation. The Raptor liner continued to cure out, my striped issues and shiny spot or two, evened out nicely. The "unsatisfactory to me" filler finish is now so hard to see, I'm not sure folks would notice unless I pointed it out to them.

The Raptor product lives up to its promise, and I survived picking up the impossible to repair gauntlet and won.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0796.jpg   DSC_0800.jpg   20220527_174531.jpg  
Old 07-19-2023, 06:25 AM   #40
JWA

Do be sure to monitor how your repair and W/S installation holds up over time and miles. I don't see anything or concern after your repairs began but with all that sheet metal moving and repair one never knows what small issues might be discovered.

Look for water on top of AND below the floor mats as those are the first indications something needs to be checked once again.

Fantastic job anyway--glad it turned out so well!