Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2022, 09:44 AM   #1

A Great Disturbance in the Force...'95 Club Wagon Chateau

Our beloved '95 E-150 Club Wagon Chateau took a hit from our big Hackberry tree before daylight this morning.

I would be willing to pay up to a point to have it fixed, but even I think it may be beyond repairable.

I expect this will eventually end up as a member classified, but I wanted to reach out to the group and get some thoughts first.

I am the second owner since about 2008, 139K miles, California/garaged for the first owner. 5.8L/E4OD Interior easily 9/10 all original. 3.55 Trak-Lok, factory tow package, rear air bags, new tires, the works. Original window sticker, brochure, every receipt back to 1995. I recently removed and repaired the big side windows for the inevitable club wagon leak.

I considered selling it a year or so ago due to the hot market, but we couldn't bring ourselves to let it go. It was too useful and worth more to us than the cash. I have two 4WD Montero's that handle my towing, adventure, and daily driver duties, but the van is "the van", and cannot be duplicated. I've entertained a U-Joint conversion in the past, but thought an E-250/350 would be better suited due to the frame rail widths.

Here it is in better days:

What would you guys do in this situation? Try to fix it or throw in the towel?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Attached Thumbnails
20220527_071351.jpg   20220527_095336.jpg   20220527_071336.jpg   20220527_095532.jpg  

Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:18 AM   #2

Yikes, that’s a lot of fixing! I’d think a body swap would really be the only feasible way to keep it on the road. Hard to find a rust-free donor chateau, though, I’m sure.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:26 AM   #3

Thanks, yeah I have gone over it in my mind, and even as optimistic as I usually am, this one may be done for.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:38 AM   #4

As long as the frame is OK what about doing away with the crushed roof and converting this to a high-top camper? Seems like there is still a lot of good van to work with there.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
As long as the frame is OK what about doing away with the crushed roof and converting this to a high-top camper? Seems like there is still a lot of good van to work with there.
Hmmm...hadn't thought of that one. That has possibilities. Sounds like what my Vans RV-6 friend in Arizona would say. I need to ring him up on this one!

Pretty sure the roof rail is crushed above the slider door. I also see misalignment in the passenger front door, so I'm surmising we have roof (frame) structural damage that might be a bit much to overcome.

I'm liking the concept however. Keep 'em coming.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:53 PM   #6

I think in this case, it will be far less work to strip out the Chateau seats, and find a newer 8 or 12 passenger van to swap them into, preferably one with 8-lugs (so E350 or '07+ E150), in consideration of a possible 4x4 conversion down the road.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I think in this case, it will be far less work to strip out the Chateau seats, and find a newer 8 or 12 passenger van to swap them into, preferably one with 8-lugs (so E350 or '07+ E150), in consideration of a possible 4x4 conversion down the road.
With a 6.8L V10 of course (and thanks!)
Old 05-28-2022, 06:42 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Yikes, that’s a lot of fixing! I’d think a body swap would really be the only feasible way to keep it on the road. Hard to find a rust-free donor chateau, though, I’m sure.
Slow down there cowboy---might be another option!

Since this is just a standard length E-Series and a '95 at that a donor roof complete and installed properly could be accomplished. Some of the DIY labor before shipping off to the body shop would be removing all the glass, removing the interior so there's less chance of damage during its rebuilding. FWIW the donor roof could be ANY E-Series from 1992 onward.

Being a former body shop owner this would be a challenge to be sure but not out of the realm of possibility.

Do keep us updated on your project here---looks to be interesting.

Oh and sorry about your loss--that's tough I know.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:01 AM   #9

Cut and jacked up the remaining limbs, got a inch or two of daylight between and backed the van out to safely finish the job.

Here's what we have. I hate the idea of sending it off to the scrapyard. Not sure my favorite local shops can handle the work, or the ones that could probably don't have room/time to take it on and I may not be willing to pony up the dollars to make it right.

Several folks who know my capabilities have already been twisting my arm to take a shot at getting straightened out and paint ready. I'm still a doubtful. Careful planning and porta-power work can go a long way. Like I need another big project right now...

Can't believe the slider door glass didn't bust out.
Attached Thumbnails
20220527_174458.jpg   20220527_174519.jpg   20220527_175030.jpg  
Old 05-28-2022, 07:23 AM   #10

Ouch.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote