Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2024, 05:03 PM   #1

Another power running board option

This van here used Aries brand running boards and what look like some custom brackets.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-ford-e-350-3/

https://www.etrailer.com/Nerf-Bars--...leID=202069222

They actually dont look bad to mount up - considering the motors are in the boards, you just gotta mount the fixed boards, do not need to consider the locations for the motors or the pivots like the AMP steps.

The two-step system is pretty nice if your van is lifted way up, the length looks decent in the photos, and the integration is super simple. Uses magnetic reed switches in the door jams instead of tapping into the dome wiring or OBDII like the AMP steps.

Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:26 PM   #2

I looked into them a little while ago and liked 90% of the product. My biggest hesitation was making mounting brackets without having any knowledge of previous installs to go off of.

They do max out at 87in long. The cool thing is that they sell just the running boards, without a vehicle specific mount if you want to make your own. Or you can buy mounts and try and adapt them to fit. I reached out and asked if they had any knowledge about mounting to a E350 and never heard back.

https://www.ariesautomotive.com/part/3025183

I thought they were too pricey for an unknown. But I looked again and the price for just the running boards is closer to $1200.

Damn, I think I might be talking myself into these...
The_Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:32 AM   #3

To me the smart move would be to use the factory running board mounts with a little modification, at least for the passenger side.

Drivers side would be a little tougher but a guy could source an extra set of running board mounts from the rear of the passenger side and move them over.

Having all the electronics for movement mounted in the board itself is real nice for integration. They don't tuck in as good as the AMP steps, but the 2 step may actually be nicer since my van is lifted way up there and a 2 step would be cool.

The other thing to note is the van in the link mounted the running boards "backward" so they swing forward when opened since the step in point is closer to the front of the door on vans than it is on trucks and SUVs.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_ern_101 View Post
The other thing to note is the van in the link mounted the running boards "backward" so they swing forward when opened since the step in point is closer to the front of the door on vans than it is on trucks and SUVs.
That's an interesting idea. I'd have to see if I like that in practice or not.

Unrelated to the steps, does anyone know what the front bumper is. It looks a lot like an ARB, but slimmer and more rounded. I'm pretty sure it's not a Ford bumper, but it also fits quite well.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:59 PM   #5

Looks like an 08-10 superduty bumper that maybe was narrowed.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Looks like an 08-10 superduty bumper that maybe was narrowed.
Strike that, just saw one roll past, it's an alumaduty 17+ bumper painted black
Old 03-29-2024, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Strike that, just saw one roll past, it's an alumaduty 17+ bumper painted black

Haha. I just saw one on the highway today and was pretty sure it was a newer superduty but didn't know what year it was. Now I'm curious how easily it fits the van, and how easily an aftermarket bumper might fit.