Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2017, 09:30 PM   #31

Garage
I am a happy girl tonight. Both MountainBikeRoamer and freeagent offered to do some PhotoShop magic for me. Here are a couple that freeagent did for me. With the black Bushwackers, black wheels, and black tires, I feel like the black rocker panels pull everything together rather nicely. I like the look. I like it all silver, too...but I might like this better. Especially over time, as the two different types of coatings fade at different rates, I wonder if a color-matched application would start looking un-color matched. With the black, that's not an issue.

What do you guys think about the bumpers? Someday, I'll have Aluminess, so it doesn't matter a lot. But in the interim, I wonder if doing the rear bumper in the same black would be nice. And maybe leave the front bumper the way it is.

Many thanks to MountainBikeRoamer, freeagent, and everyone else for their help and ideas. You guys are the best!

Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:44 PM   #32

I think both bumpers & front plastic trim/grill/panels/flares/mirrors/tow hitch/steps/lic plate frame (rear door)/awning housing
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:53 AM   #33

Agreed with Zappo, black is gonna make you want more black. Black is the new......black!

You could experiment with bumpers for $10. 2 cans of black Plasti-dip. Completely reversible and fun to play with anyway.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #34

Garage
Looks great!!!!

+2 Agree on doing the bumpers too with this particular color scheme/graphic layout.

Btw -- nice photoshops there, freeagent!
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #35

I would also consider a med to dark-grey rocker color......maybe not full black, but around 4 or 5 PMS shades darker....JMHO.....before you make up your mind...
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I would also consider a med to dark-grey rocker color......maybe not full black, but around 4 or 5 PMS shades darker....JMHO.....before you make up your mind...
Gotta say that I'm feeling this too.
While the two-tone itself has grown on me (didn't think it would, but that photoshop does look good....) --- there's something that's just a bit "raw" about using straight black sometimes.

You want it to "read" like it's black, of course....but quite often in automotive two-tone paint schemes you don't actually use true, straight black to do this. Contrast will be strong even if you back off a few shades as boywonder suggested, yet the colors may compliment each other better and look more OEM, less krylon.

Just be sure (if you do so) to pay attention to whether your chosen color is on the warm or cool side, to match the natural warm or cool that your van's silver has.

EDIT: hey....have we reached the absolute "critical saturation point" for input/opinions here yet?
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #37

Garage
Well just to add to the many options you already have, I did mine a bit lower than most and really like the added depth it gives it, I think all the way up to or above the line make the two tone almost too thick looking and personally like the proportions I did better (although its subtle and totally personal preference). I also sprayed the inside and outside of my propane door (and dropped the propane tank to spray), inside the wheel wells, did a middle line to cover old teal paint, around my wheel wells since I don't have bushwackers but it still gives it the look kinda, and both sides of my chrome bumpers.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #38

Garage
I also sprayed inside my lower door jams all the way up to the plastic inner steps to give it a complete look (sorry couldn't find pics) and better flow plus protects that area when stepping in and out of all the doors

Old 10-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
I really like that somewhat subtle mid-body black line your van has. It helps break up the vast expanse of silver, especially with the high top.

For someone considering a mid-body line, it could even be done in PlastiDip or a vinyl sticker in case you change your mind at some point.

Herb
Old 10-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I really like that somewhat subtle mid-body black line your van has. It helps break up the vast expanse of silver, especially with the high top.

For someone considering a mid-body line, it could even be done in PlastiDip or a vinyl sticker in case you change your mind at some point.

Herb

Thanks, I actually tried to do it in Vinyl first and wasn't getting nice clean cuts from the vinyl wire tape I was using, it was very difficult with such a thin line so I scrapped it all and just did the liner and like that much better. The original line was painted so I knew I would never go back anyway. I also did my hightop but the color match came out too dark unfortunately and I even considered doing the whole van, who knows maybe someday after I get too many pinstripes but for now it looks much better than the 21 year old van it is.