Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #31

Garage
Hey guys, I installed my cables last weekend. Here's a quick write up with a few pics:

1997 E150/250/350 Rear Door Latch Cable UPGRADE! – GUERRILLA BUILDS

I posted on a blog site I never finished building so please ignore the rest of it. Was just the easiest way for me to post without a bunch of image processing.

Regarding the double nut arrangement, I like it a lot for one reason: The handle/bracket metal is a bit soft on my van and bends a little easily. I've done the replacement metal ends before and they're ok but tend to just open the bracket instead of snapping in tightly. Was always a bit nervous about them popping out. So....

Enjoy.

KICKYRIDE.COM - DIY remote start & security kits
mikewithered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:12 AM   #32
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Great update!

I do understand how the double nut arrangement could be helpful if an existing latch had deformed over time---should lock the cable end into the main body with no fear of it popping out again.

Thanks!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:44 PM   #33

The rear passenger door handle cable has been broken since February. Finely got around to fixing it today. This thread was very helpful. I used the Dorman replacement cables that are just like the OEM cables.

It was easy once I got the all the pieces out of the door. Here are some tips.
1. Be sure to remove the rear door speaker to gain access to the license plate light. If you don’t there is a good chance you will break the light bulb housing.
2. The electric lock actuator is held in place by a spring clamp. Use a flat bladed screwdriver to open the clamp. Do one side and then the other.
3. The use of a small needle nose pliers is helpful when removing the existing cables from the latch mechanisms.
4. You will need to remove the spring clip that holds the shaft on the back of the lock.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote