Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scummy View Post
Great write up! is there any way you could measure the location from the top of the hood? Basically I am looking for top edge of the hood to top edge of the louver and outside edge of the hood to outside edge of the louver.

Thanks!
Sure thing Scummy, but may not be until the weekend.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #12

Garage
G'day, These are my Run Cool Hood Louvers, work beautifully, cool engine 8-10c, very happy. Look under bonnet at the panels and supports, to work out what works with your vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
20161209_104008.jpg  
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
scummy - may I politely ask the reason for putting in the hood louvers?

If it is for heat dispersion while parked, as mentioned below, then there will be some benefit. There is no heat extraction benefit while moving as there is no air pressure differential above and below the hood.
There must be something different aerodynamically then between the newer vans and the late 70s Econolines we had for ambulances. We had a lot of problems with circuit breakers (for all the EMS related gear) tripping because of the heat given off by those 460s in that crowded engine compartment. Standard practice back then was to have the hoods louvered. Since the hoods were all steel the louvers were cut into virtually the whole hood surface and they worked very well in venting the engine heat. We found a side benefit was that when driving in a heavy snowstorm, no longer would snow and ice build up on the wipers. The heat pouring out the hood from the engine kept the wipers and windshield melted off.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #14

They may not work well while moving but anything to disperse the heat after a hard pull and then stopping is a good thing. The under hood heat cooks the wiring harness and is hard on the FICM and alternator. There's really no reason not to do it. If there is, I want to hear it.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #15

I also installed a switch to turn on my fan. That way I could manually turn it on before going up a steep grade or sitting in traffic to keep eot and ect down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
Sure thing Scummy, but may not be until the weekend.
Thanks!

Old 03-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scummy View Post
Great write up! is there any way you could measure the location from the top of the hood? Basically I am looking for top edge of the hood to top edge of the louver and outside edge of the hood to outside edge of the louver.

Thanks!
I went with medium Run-Cool louvers to minimize the amount of hood structure ribbing to cut. The hood is not square and neither are the louvers. They are wider at the top than bottom. Not sure if it helps since you have large louvers but I measure 5.5" to the top of the hood from the upper corner and 5.75" to the edge of the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
med_louvers.JPG  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #18

Let me lay it out to see if your dimensions get me close. Thanks

Old 03-18-2017, 02:23 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
I went with medium Run-Cool louvers to minimize the amount of hood structure ribbing to cut. The hood is not square and neither are the louvers. They are wider at the top than bottom. Not sure if it helps since you have large louvers but I measure 5.5" to the top of the hood from the upper corner and 5.75" to the edge of the hood.
Scummy.

I went with medium size too.
Mine are fine, but further apart like JoeH would be better.
I think daveb has them out further on his!

Cheers Doug
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #20

Looks like 4" top and side. Poor pictures, but gives you an idea (note that I didn't have the tape measure at the hood edge on the one that looks over 4"). Size Large louvers.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6045.jpg   IMG_6044.jpg   IMG_6043.jpg   IMG_6042.jpg   IMG_6041.jpg  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote