Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2023, 11:43 PM   #111

'04 E350 Sportsmobile w/Dynatrac front Dana 60 front diff. Springs have lost about 2" front and rear. Front bump stop is about 1" from the frame. Received the Firestone kit for the rear axle from eTrailer. I need to get a set of air bags for the front as well but, because the van has 3" leaf springs on the front, no one is sure what I need.

Anyone install a set of air bags on the front axle? What kit did you buy for the front?

SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 04:22 PM   #112

Skip the front axle airbags and instead swap the bump stops for a set of Sumo Springs. They even have the SMB recommended version listed in the catalog. They will end up being engaged full time, but since they are a urethane foam, that’s ok.
Old 08-14-2023, 04:47 PM   #113

Garage
@SierraHawk - You'll like the Sumo's. Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, could look into a set of front coilovers if you have the clearance...personally though, a better solution would be new springs.
Old 08-14-2023, 09:52 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
@SierraHawk - You'll like the Sumo's. Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, could look into a set of front coilovers if you have the clearance...personally though, a better solution would be new springs.

Agreed. I did the RIP progressive Moog springs with black Sumo Spring bump stops and it's a drastic improvement from before. That's with Agile RIP shocks too though.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 09:40 AM   #115

sumo for rear?

Hello all been awhile...haven't been able to use the van much last 2yrs. So been a little absent. Anyhow. So my EB350 still is sagging in the rear. Wgt is usually 9500-9800 and never tow. Weight doesn't change. UJ replaced original rear springs right off the bat with another set of Atlas. Still sagged...Added two more leafs in Alberta CAN. at Standens. Helped the sagg but still had some. The ride is good hwy and offroad. Noticed on our last trip in July starting to sagg. Don't want airbags was thinking of at least trying some Sumos. what could it hurt? Lots of options on these. Can't seem to find a consensus on the form? Any recommendations or the magic part #? Thanks!
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 01:49 PM   #116

86Scotty: I do not know how Sumos are graded or sized. I know nothing about height, density, compression, etc. Since you used the black Sumos can the black Sumos be used with any Sportsmobile 4X4 that has a Dynatrac front diff and 3" leaf springs from Heber's shop? Or are there other options?
Old 08-21-2023, 04:07 PM   #117

Garage
@SierraHawk:
These 2 links will explain most of what you're looking for:
https://youtu.be/ncIhSXPDDok

https://www.superspringsinternationa...prings-colors/

I have the Black ones also, and I have a heavy van (just under 12,000lbs when loaded)
Old 08-23-2023, 04:42 PM   #118

Hi Twoxentrix, My bump stop sits 1" above a heavy piece of rectangular tubing that Heber welded onto the U bolt plate. Did you have to remove the rectangular piece of heavy steel tubing? If so did you use a Sawzall or torch? How did you finish out the upper surface of the plate after removing the heavy piece of "tubing"?
Old 08-23-2023, 04:48 PM   #119

The response I got from Sumo is: "Yes, we do not have any spring leafspring applications only our SumoSprings set up for the front and rear."
Old 08-23-2023, 05:10 PM   #120

He later sent a copy of an instruction sheet but they are for mounting the Sumos to the rear - not the front.