Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I have no blind spot with these. Key is adjusting the lower mirror so the body of the van is barely visible at the inboard edge. .
I completely agree. When properly adjusted, my blind spot mirrors will show a car coming up along side, and still show them when I can look out the window and see their hood. Pretty much, if I can see anything in the convex mirror, I don't change lanes. They took a little getting use to and adjusting, but I now think they may be better than the original stock mirrors. There darn tough too, I've smacked them with branches many times when bushwhacking and they just fold up.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:54 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I have no blind spot with these. Key is adjusting the lower mirror so the body of the van is barely visible at the inboard edge. And the top edge should be lined up just above the horizon. Setup this way, a car will be visible in the small mirror until it's next to the front doors. If you have a blindspot, the small mirrors are probably adjusted too far inboard.

I also keep the large mirrors pointing straight back, so the side of the van is only visible if I lean my head a little. Basically, point them to lane markings still appear parallel in the mirror.
Yep, This has worked for me as well
Old 05-16-2020, 06:33 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
My new 2011 SMB E250 has the extendable tow mirrors and I kinda hate them so far compared with the regular “single mirror” power mirrors (with stick on convex blind spot mirrors) that were on my 1998.
I pretty much agree with you on the earlier pedestal mount mirrors---absolutely love those on my 2000. On my 2003 & 2005 E-Series I've converted them into the single element, a la 2008 and later. Adding an NAPA self-adhering spot mirror (#7048D) I think I have as good as a rear or side view as I can achieve with mirrors alone.

I did add heaters to my mirrors---that's not an easy modification but its well worth the effort I put into it.

I do like the C-BETR add-on mirrors Scott shows us---I've seen them but not having the towing/extendable mirrors they weren't of much interest for only that reason. that's a great use of under used space.

On that note ^^ here's something I've added that works okay, gives another useful view: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...FK4F7RX4&psc=1 They're cheap enough I bought a set but only use the drivers side---when installed on the underside of the mirror its tough to see its view from the driver's seat.

I'm close to spec'ing out a system of cameras and monitor at an entry level initially. I have to believe having a better view with more sideways coverage has to improve safety. Time will tell though.......
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #14

Love them. Been 5 years no regrets. I would recommend not buying the cheapest ones you find, the glass will rattle.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:34 PM   #15

The rear right and left rear blind spots can be eliminated with adjustment of the small mirror.

The resulting NEW BIGGER blind spot LEFT forward when the taller/ larger tow mirror is now combined w the driver A pillar is mucho mucho dangerous, especially for pedestrians. Add a Triple Gauge pod on the A Pillar and my recommendation is UP YOUR LIMITS AND A LARGE UMBRELLA POLICY.

Not sure what I mean? Start making a left turn on a city street and watch how much volume the combo mirror/pillar (and gauges) block. The forward left blind spot will track the “to the left crosswalk” perfectly and especially will hide a pedestrian walking towards you. When combined with a lifted van that area is near impossible to see unless one tilts their head left and right a lot to check that area.

IF you really need them for towing a wide trailer, by all means get them and be very aware. If doing it just for looks, think carefully about your insurance policy.

Two gauge pillar pod you can see over, the three gauge is just below eyesight line straight out.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:12 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
I did mine about 5 years ago and was certain I was going to have problems with them in the offroad conditions we like to do (baja style quick moving with lots of brush/tree contact). I hated the lack of visibility as noted by others but my zeal for customizing everything got the better of me. They have been flawless and made FAR better with the addition of the C-Betr bolt in convex

Scott

This is the exact same setup I had with my SMB, and I loved it. I went from the paddle=style mirrors to the town mirrors and then added the C-Betr convex mirrors. That said, I have the tow mirrors on my Excursion, but I have not added the C-Betrs to those mirrors. I think because the outside visibility is better in the Ex than the SMB.

Herb
Old 05-18-2020, 05:51 AM   #17
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
The rear right and left rear blind spots can be eliminated with adjustment of the small mirror.

The resulting NEW BIGGER blind spot LEFT forward when the taller/ larger tow mirror is now combined w the driver A pillar is mucho mucho dangerous, especially for pedestrians. Add a Triple Gauge pod on the A Pillar and my recommendation is UP YOUR LIMITS AND A LARGE UMBRELLA POLICY.
The A-Pillar location relative to the driver's seat along with the '03 standard and extendable tow mirrors has always been a bit problematic, at least for me. When turning anywhere pedestrians might be its a bit difficult see around the mirror heads. Perhaps the tow mirrors are more for towing than around-town driving? Not sure how you'd switch back and forth though.

Gauge wise I've opted for the Auto Meter overhead mounts--since I remove the windshield mounted rear view mirror I have full vision between the A-Pillars, moving my head around there's good vision through the front door glass as well.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #18

Question on the extendable van mirrors are they power or are they manual I would sure hate to lose the power option but...... I really need mirrors way out there. I'm in a no side window cargo van and I fear I am going to kill many things if I don't get good mirrors I am not that good without mirrors especially on an extended cab van...lol
This old va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:34 PM   #19

They come in both power and manual versions. Wish GM had an extendable option for vans....one of the (only) things I really miss about my Ford.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:14 PM   #20

Thank you, I forgot to mention in addition to being a cargo van it is a 2003 7.3. from what I've read it's just I would delete one of the 4 posts and enlarge the three existing holes.

If there is more to it ,or a change in the electrical connections please feel free to school me, I should be able to handle that if I can't I need to bury my tool boxes... lol ��
This old va is offline   Reply With Quote