Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2021, 07:44 PM   #1

Quarterpanel Repair

So, I was just outside playing with the van, trying to figure out where at what level I'm going to do my Linex strip down the side and noticed some bubbling paint in front of the left rear wheel. I knocked around with a hammer and a big hole appeared. Crap...I did some quick searching and found this - https://www.millsupply.com/auto-body...th-919242l.php

Am I correct in thinking this is a replacement quarter panel and I can gut from this what I want, weld in place then final bodywork and paint?

Any other options other than bending a piece out of flat plate and welding in?

For clarity, the rust is in the lower rocker panel, not the actual quarter panel.

fjefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:03 AM   #2

Garage
Yes, sounds like it from what you describe. Sounds like you mean to cut out and weld in only the piece needed rather than the entire rocker. Don’t know why you couldn’t.

Might could bond from the inside and skim coat, but I don’t know if that would work in this case. Better to weld I would think. If the hole is small enough there are other options, but new metal is best, so a patch or replacement.

Member JWA, thoughts?
Old 04-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #3

Got it...that is the feedback I was looking for. I've never done a lot of auto bodywork so I wasn't considering that there is actually a market for body panel parts like this.

I'm certainly not a newby to the skills required to fix this so I'm good figuring out the repair once I have the item in hand.

Jeff
Old 04-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #4

Reach out to member JWA here. He had his own bodyshop. Very knowledgeable guy.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Yes, sounds like it from what you describe. Sounds like you mean to cut out and weld in only the piece needed rather than the entire rocker. Don’t know why you couldn’t.

Might could bond from the inside and skim coat, but I don’t know if that would work in this case. Better to weld I would think. If the hole is small enough there are other options, but new metal is best, so a patch or replacement.

Member JWA, thoughts?
Good gravy am I ever sooooooo late to this thread----sorry 'bout that but I'll my $0.02 worth anyway..................

Before I could or would make a guess offer advice I'd want to see images of the damage that's possibly to be replaced.

Mill Supply is cheap stuff with every attendant quality that implies. I'm guessing the linked part would arrive almost completely bare, not a bit of rust inhibiting material pre-applied.

The next issue is how to properly and "professionally" treat the replacement part and the area left when the old damage has been removed. The "joint" where new meets old becomes soooooooooo vulnerable to quickly forming and advancing rust so that's another issue.

POR-15 is my highly recommended material for this sort of thing but its by no means the only effective product for body repair of this nature.

If I need to expound on this I can but the OP should upload photos of his anticipated project.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:17 AM   #6

Thanks, I already bought the panel and welded in 20" long segment. Worked well, the contour wasn't perfect but close enough that I made it match with some elbow grease.

Welding sheet metal sucks...lots and lots and lots of tack welds...but I got it in and it looks good. I did some light bond to get the contours just right then I primed it with some really good metal converter and for now I have an unmatching gray top coating on it. Much better than where I started. Soon I'll be doing a LineX coating down the lower quarter panel so it will all match once done.