Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 06:00 AM   #121

That is awesome work!... And I had thought I accomplished something grand the other day when I Monstalined my rear bumper.

Any chance you will start selling kits?

wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish41 View Post

Any chance you will start selling kits?

...zero chance......I did offer to make 5 bumpers and sell 4 but no real interest...

It was back here earlier in this thread..it was for bumpers only, no brush guards or swing arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
If anyone is interested in one of these bumpers (as shown, except powdercoated black-including LEDs, with or without backup sensor holes), please PM me.

If we can get a group buy of 5 pieces they'll be $1400/ea. 10 piece price will be a little better......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:42 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I had no idea aluminum could be milled with a router. If its not too much a distraction could you detail how you accomplished that? Variable speed router? What sort of mills were used?

JWA...I just noticed that I misunderstood your question above earlier in the thread. Yes I indeed milled/routed the upper hatch hole in the bumper with a router. I thought you were referring to the machined hinge brackets.

Since the bumper is way too big to heave-ho up on my Bridgeport Mill, I had to resort to other means....so as shown earlier, I made an MDF template, rough cut the hatch hole with a jig saw and sheet metal blade, and routed the opening to it's final dimensions just like you would do on a piece of wood.

In this case I used a 1/2" diameter two flute end mill, but a typical router bearing bit would also work quite well. Faster RPM usually results in a better surface finish....so season to taste. If I were using a 4 flute end mill I likely would have went with less RPMs.

*I would be a bit hesitant to use a 1/4" shank router bit for this but 1/2" is plenty beefy.

I treat aluminum much like wood....I cut up to 2" thick aluminum on my table saw with a Freud non-ferrous blade, and I rout it occasionally and also sand it with sandpaper.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #124

Will look good when done though👌🏻
RebelRX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:15 AM   #125
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
JWA...I just noticed that I misunderstood your question above earlier in the thread. Yes I indeed milled/routed the upper hatch hole in the bumper with a router. I thought you were referring to the machined hinge brackets.

I treat aluminum much like wood....I cut up to 2" thick aluminum on my table saw with a Freud non-ferrous blade, and I rout it occasionally and also sand it with sandpaper.
No problems BoyWonder---I appreciate the reply none the less!

I have a 12" Freud non-ferrous blade on my miter saw---those are costly but OMG well worth the dollars.

FWIW anytime I can use a 1/2" shank router bit I do----the larger diameter seems safer for some reason, anything move at 20K RPM needs to be as "safe" as we can make it.

I'll have to try this myself not because I'm skeptical but it would great seeing what projects I can dig into with the capability.

Thanks BW!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #126

Yep, very, very impressive!!

The results are in keeping with the incredible vision, knowledge and skills boywonder has. All of his projects / builds are then combined with his dedication to narrate and post/share is really

Thank you for all your contributions, help, sharing and caring you give to our really cool group of misfits!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #127

Really nice work amigo!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #128

Just absolutely wonderful. Thanks for the update. That is a lot of work and it really shows your attention to detail.
MotorbikeBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #129

Incredible work Boywonder. You gotta be proud of that.

One question though; Any problem with the backup sensors once you added the tire and box above them?

My sensors are constantly activated after I added my swing arms. But then my sensors are on a flat plane, not angled slightly down like yours. Currently have mine unplugged they've been so annoying. May need to engineer some angled mounts.

TP
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3337.jpg  

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #130

Dang....sweet bumper! Awesome job.
GBreezy is offline   Reply With Quote