Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2019, 05:46 AM   #21
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldguy View Post
I just installed some Hellwig helper springs on my Chevy Express 1500 a few weeks ago.

Can't wait to tow my travel trailer! I definitely recommend them.

I couldn't find an airbag system that would fit my van.
Good to know---thanks for sharing your experience with Hellwig.

Odd that Air Lift doesn't list anything for the Chevy Express vans---has to be a million of those out there.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:51 AM   #22

There is an Air Lift as well as Firestone option for GM vans, at least for 2500 and 3500 vans. Not sure about 1500 though. I’m considering bags for mine because my load size varies a lot.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Good to know---thanks for sharing your experience with Hellwig.

Odd that Air Lift doesn't list anything for the Chevy Express vans---has to be a million of those out there.

My Express 1500 van is a 2002 model. Many accessories for this model van are available for 2003 and up.

I just had a two inch front leveling kit installed a few months ago at Weldtec in El Cajon, CA. There are many other places that have a kit for 2003 and newer. Weldtec fabricates their own pieces. It was worth the drive.
newoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:20 AM   #24
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldguy View Post
My Express 1500 van is a 2002 model. Many accessories for this model van are available for 2003 and up.
Could be like Ford's E150's that morphed into E250 frame and spec-wise somewhere along that same time too?

Hard to say for certain but good accessories are available to more Chevy vans now.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:16 AM   #25
JWA

Okay so a few days ago I finalized and wrapped up this helper spring business. I opted to add an extra leaf which adds about 1.200# capacity to my stock set-up. I added maybe 1" to the unloaded ride height.

Also added the Sumo springs which as very easy---when the extra leaf was added I asked the techs to also remove the stock bump stops. Turns out was a a real PITA and yet they didn't charge me a dime extra. I did tip the one tech $20--he really went out of his way to do this seemingly simple job correctly. (There is left side bracket holding a few lines in place that's held to the frame by the same bolt holding the bump stop.)

Installing the Sumo took maybe 15 minutes but had I been more motivated maybe 10 minutes at the most. Preliminary measurements before and after installation while loaded with about 600# over the now-normal GVW the Sumo's are still well above the axle tube. Before I was 1 7/8" above, loaded was about 1 1/4".

Given the extra leaf I'm not sure how much I'd have to load so the Sumo's touch the axle tube. I might be loading up to 1300# but I don't anticipate that being too frequent and the drive would be about 75 miles.

I have photos of various parts of the Sumo's, both product and final installation should anyone be interested.

Thanks again all who contributed here---gave me a few options and I think I picked the best for my situation.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #26

Garage
JWA If its not too inconvenient, I'd be interested to see a pic or 2 on how the Sumo's are mounted - if you post in this thread then others (either now or down the road) would benefit as well. Thanks
Old 04-12-2019, 03:28 AM   #27
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
JWA If its not too inconvenient, I'd be interested to see a pic or 2 on how the Sumo's are mounted - if you post in this thread then others (either now or down the road) would benefit as well. Thanks
No inconvenience at all TwoE!

Sumo's as they arrive:

I'm guessing the black plastic blocks are for adjusting the Sumo height above the axle tube---I used both on my install.

The Sumo's bolt inserts into frame hole left when OEM bump stops are removed There is a ridge on the outer side of the frame preventing the Sumo & spacers from turning:

Finished installation---took only a 9/16" wrench---couldn't be easier.

Measured height above axle at the new normal unloaded ride height:

Loaded with about 600#:

There are more complex looking installations according the the Super Springs catalog, never did look into the how's or why's other versions had actual brackets and such. These are part number SSR-107-54, cost $209.25 dropped shipped fromSuperSprings on behalf of SDTruckSprings.com

HTH
Old 04-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #28

Garage
Thanks for posting the pic's JWA. I like the idea of mounting to the frame, yet independent of the axle. Without a base plate that mounts to the top side of your Axle, do you think your Sumo's may be susceptible to sliding to one side of the axle during a quick compression (since the axle doesnt provide a flat surface upon contact)? I'm just curious since i've never seen these in person, and have no idea how stable (or flexible) they are
Old 04-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #29

Here's mine. I have a little more unloaded clearance, but otherwise it's the same. Oh, and mine are black. I think they color each spring rate differently. I've seen blue ones on a motorhome.

The contact patch of the bottom of the Sumo is quite a bit larger than the top of the axle.... So no, no worries about it rolling off. I had the same concern, but looking under there after using them, they always hit in the same spot. Even after yarding out a 12x60' trailer from axle-deep mud, which required WOT rocking, no signs of them being anywhere other than they should be. That trailer also had 5,5500 pounds of tongue weight, but the Sumos kept the tires out of the fenders!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5786.jpg   IMG_5787.jpg  
Old 04-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #30

Garage
Thanks carringb - your confidence in them is reassuring, complimented by the fact you have personal experience with them.