Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #41

Re: Hitch Motorcycle carrier feedback please

My second (and third) receiver was just a bolt on. And yes, I have more crap coming out the side of the receiver.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcnick
My second (and third) receiver was just a bolt on. And yes, I have more crap coming out the side of the receiver.

That arrangement places a lot of stress on the bolts if the load is hanging a considerable distance behind the hitch; as is the typical case when using a cargo carrier. For that reason I'd make sure the bolts are of high quality. The other factor that affects overall strength is the bumper size versus your hitch tube size. With a standard 4X4 RV bumper the bolts have a little more leverage to resist load. The cross member of your receiver is smaller so it places more load on the bolts.

Normally those are recommended for lighter loads like bicycles. I'd be concerned placing a heavy motorcycle on them -- even when using one at each end.

http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Trail ... 64025.html

Back when I had a Class C motorhome I used a similar homebuilt arrangement to carry my bicycles. However, I never put more than one tandem and two bikes on at a time; total weight just under 100 pounds.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
That arrangement places a lot of stress on the bolts if the load is hanging a considerable distance behind the hitch;
All the load is on the receiver. The bolt on just keeps it from rocking too much. I use the anti rock on the receiver as well so there is hardly anything on the bolt on. No way I would put 400 lbs on the bolt on.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #44

I use a mototote mtx M3. It uses the locking pin bolt to lock down the reciever and carrier. Crank it down, nothing moves. The carrier is really tightly constructed. I've carried my DL1000 (550LB) with no worries. Threw my DRZ400 on and never moved. I'm pretty happy with that setup.

Paula
Old 09-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven
I use a mototote mtx M3.
I could not help but google the mototote and compare to my new rack. Although I posted about the Harbor Freight unit, a Versahaul came with my new to me bike. The Versahaul weighs in at 75 pounds compared to yours at 60. (The Harbor Freight is closer to 40.) The Versahaul doesn't use the bolt, but its wobble thing works well enough I am not using a second support like with the Harbor Freight one. From looking at the mototote pictures it looks like it has better exit angle for the van with it's tie down bar bent upward. The one thing that stands out as a great feature is the loop for the front tire that holds the bike up until tied down. With both my racks it is quite a act to hold it up while strapping it down. And God forbid you rolled it up before getting the straps out.

Anyways, my new bike is a DRZ400. I only lurk on Thumpertalk, drz400 etc., but now the Sportsmobile is better sorted the DRZ is getting lots of my attention and money. Next is a kickstarter because I ride alone. (not by choice) If you are ever in Tahoe I can take you around.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #46

Send a message via Yahoo to 2much8ntenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
My handlebars hit my spare tire and that is before compressing the front forks to tie it down with ratchet straps to the carrier. This is with the 14" extension. The spare is a 34" tire.

I load my wtf250x backwards for this reason. I line it up to the ramp oof the Versahaul and back it up from the front of the bars - in front of the bike. Pretty easy, and I've only dropped the bik once - heh.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much8ntenough
I line it up to the ramp oof the Versahaul and back it up
With the Versahaul one can just install the ramp facing the other direction.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #48

1999 Chevy Express 3500

Do you think a double dirtbike carrier will be too much for the hitch? The custom fab shop says their dual dirtbike carriers are rated for 800 lbs. He says they have an anti-wobble that works quite well. I just don't want to overload the rear weight of the van and make for shaky handling.

I figure it's a 1-ton so it should be able to handle it, no? This is my first 4x4 van and 1-ton so I don't know much about how they can handle weight.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #49

joe hauler built me a great rack out of san marcos so cal.holds up to 600 pounds. also has hitch behind to carry my road and mountain bikes. u can c it on my forum. c ya!
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #50

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian
1999 Chevy Express 3500

Do you think a double dirtbike carrier will be too much for the hitch? The custom fab shop says their dual dirtbike carriers are rated for 800 lbs. He says they have an anti-wobble that works quite well. I just don't want to overload the rear weight of the van and make for shaky handling.

I figure it's a 1-ton so it should be able to handle it, no? This is my first 4x4 van and 1-ton so I don't know much about how they can handle weight.
I wouldn't worry about the hitch, in fact if the hitch failed it might protect the van's frame, or give you some advance warning. And the frame is what I would be worried about. If the frame bends or fails, it would be much more difficult and expensive to repair, and it might even damage the body or driveline.

If your van is the long wheel base, the handling might be OK. If it's the short wheelbase I'm guessing it will be a bit of a wild ride.