Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #31

Re: Hitch Motorcycle carrier feedback please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
Thanks for posting
Your welcome. Just taking a break from putting it up front. Made sure the fake receiver was exactly the same, but found I could shove the rack in further because the handle bars can hang over the hood. In the pic you might be able to see I used a hitch gizmo for holding a vice as the second support. I then mounted an ammo can to the vice thing which holds the straps for the bike. I am not sure whether to proud of doing this all from Harbor Freight or embarrassed.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #32

Now we're talkin!

Great help with pictures.

Question is this.....if I have 310lb bike with 50lb Ultimate MX Hauler and their "custom" 20 lb drop/extension, which looks pretty strong, can my 500lb tongue weight hitch take it?

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #33
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Looks a little low.. maybe ok for the Street.. but not sure about trails and 4x4ing..

But otherwise a quick improvise!
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
Looks a little low..
On the front the entry is still better than the exit of my EB. 2 wheel drive EB is bad to start with. My front receiver is angled up. With the bike on the back the exit is horrible.

I don't know about weight. The extension things have their weight limits, but then how it affects the capacity of the original receiver would be exponential for ever inch longer. My rack said 400 lbs and the receiver is 500 lb tongue weight. With no extensions, half that weight and driving on the street I feel alright. Let's see if falls off by fall.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #35

Garage

I've got an RB with the step bumper and backup radar. I would like to mount a rear M/C carrier but retain the backup radar. I wonder what kind of cable is used on the sensors and if it can be spliced?

I'm thinking of maybe installing 2 receivers and then mounting the entire bumper on two hitch extensions. When I want to mount the M/C I would slide the bumper back, pin it in place, and then bolt the bike channel on top of the extensions.

When I don't want the M/C, the bumper would retract and be pinned in place close to the stock position.

If I build it real stout, I could still use the hitch on the step bumper when it's extended.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #36
Site Team

Garage
Hitch Motorcycle carrier feedback please

This is the ktoom on the hauler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365976433.604751.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365976451.879288.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365976468.938357.jpg  

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #37
Site Team

Garage
Hitch Motorcycle carrier feedback please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365976508.045179.jpg  

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #38

I use the super bomb proof all steel versahual carrier....75lbs and adjustable on how near or far the bike sits from the tow vehicle....I wouldn't want one of those flimsy aluminum ones....I've seen em bend...

All that anti rattle stuff looks good, but eventually the ones I used came loose over and over....so I just let the bike buck and bounce....ain't seen no problems in 20k miles...I have a 1000lb rated tongue weight, and my bike and carrier weigh about 360 lbs....I do double up on my cam straps so if one fails my bike isn't road kill....
Ajamboree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:51 AM   #39

I hauled my 450lb KLR on a versa haul as well. More than 20000 miles on the combo. I wore out one anti rattle collar but the rack was awesome. No bending and bomb proof. I can tell you there were a ton of times when I was oh crap, that was a big bump, did we just lose the bike, every time it was still there, happy as a clam.

Jim
capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
There was someone on this forum who fabricated a setup with two rear hitch receivers (instead of a single one in the middle) for their motorcycle carrier. Looked really stable and was a great idea. You can probably find the post if you search around a bit.
Wasn't me but I agree that having two support points spaced apart is a great way to go if at all possible. On my van I incorporated two extra 2" receivers in-line with the frame rails in order to make it easier to carry heavy items on a rear cargo tray. At the time I built the frame I also expected to buy a small motorcycle or large scooter so I welded the receivers into the sub-frame I had to build in order to drop the floor behind the rear axle. I've carried fairly heavy items and don't have to worry about whether load is centered on van or not. No matter what it's rock solid since it can't wobble side to side.

You can see the right side receiver just under bumper on this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05224.JPG  
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote