Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2024, 12:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
What is the capacity of the propane bottle and where is it located? Is there a toilet, and if so what type and brand?
We are looking to buy a Sportsmobile and drive it to our summer home in Alaska
I believe it's the Manchester 7.9 gallon tank, mounted behind the access panel on drivers side. You can see the panel door in the picture 8.jpg above, I'll add a pic of the door open, showing water, propane tank and shore electric plug access.

As for head, Sportsmobile options the Thetford 365, not a permanent mount in RB50.
Attached Thumbnails
propane tank.jpg  

pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 12:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Hell, Scrap the sailboat and use one of these (pic below) - throw a couple outboards on the back, or retrofit a sail. Would prove considerably less expensive, less maintenance, and when you're done with it...just drive away!
https://maxxonpontoons.com/maxxon-pt...25-inch-tubes/

That would be cheaper!!
I've discovered the truth in the adage, "sailing is the most expensive way to go anywhere for free"!
Old 02-29-2024, 10:45 AM   #13

About the “Full Victron Suite” and generator: did you do the work or was it at a shop? IF a shop, which one and would you recommend them to others? I would like to convert my 2010 RB-50 to lithium, but doing that is above my DIY paygrade.
lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 10:51 AM   #14

Twoxentrix-

Forget the outboards; a mechanical genius like you could just install a PTO off the drivetrain and put the V10 to work.
lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:58 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchukar View Post
Twoxentrix-

Forget the outboards; a mechanical genius like you could just install a PTO off the drivetrain and put the V10 to work.
Yeh, first thing that went through my mind when I looked at that pic was a set of rollers (like a dyno machine) that the rear wheels set on, with gears at the ends driving a set of props - I just didn’t think you’d get very good mileage.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchukar View Post
About the “Full Victron Suite” and generator: did you do the work or was it at a shop? IF a shop, which one and would you recommend them to others? I would like to convert my 2010 RB-50 to lithium, but doing that is above my DIY paygrade.
Hi Ichukar,

Sportsmobile installed the generator during the original build.

I had the Lithium system installed by Puerto Vallarta Marine. Highly recommended, but you're not likely in that neighborhood! Thinking back, that might have been what started me thinking about boats... those guys have been working with wind and solar and batteries offgrid for a long time.

So if you happen to be near big water, I suggest you look up marine electronic service providers to help with your lithium install. Might not be cheap, but they're familiar with installs in harsh environments which is a good thing.

Just finished my boat install, this time I did half of it myself but am glad I had a professional involved. 1700 watts solar and 1720 AH lithium is a big step up!
Old 03-04-2024, 03:16 PM   #17

I am very interested in your Sportsmobile. Not sure how to contact you directly. Do not want to discus anything in the forum and am unfamiliar with sending pMs is there a way I can give you my contact info without providing to everyone else. Or you provide me your contact info.
Thanks
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 04:09 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I am very interested in your Sportsmobile. Not sure how to contact you directly. Do not want to discus anything in the forum and am unfamiliar with sending pMs is there a way I can give you my contact info without providing to everyone else. Or you provide me your contact info.
Thanks
Very simple to contact OP through a private message:
Just click on his user name "Pigeon" which you'll see on the top left of any of his posts
pigeon

A small window will appear just below it...now just click on "send a Private Message to pigeon"

...and Bob's your uncle.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:44 PM   #19

PM sent
Old 03-07-2024, 10:47 AM   #20

Wow...incredible van...GLWS. Very cool trading one adventure vehicle for another...if you're in need of crew for your sailing adventures I volunteer!
Doug-D is offline   Reply With Quote