Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382 View Post
If Quigley will do your older unit, they do a quality job. Last I checked, they were only about $15,000 also. They have done thousands of conversions over the years. Ours has 165,000 miles with no problems.
Quigley will not work on vehicles that old.

ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteautoRv View Post
Fellow forum members, we have a couple of SMBs that we would like to get converted into 4x4s.
First until is a 2005 Ford RB with the 6.0L

Second is a 2006 Ford EB with the V10

Things to consider (in order of priority)

1. Quality
2. Time to complete/availability
3. Price

Any direction/recommendations are welcome.

Tags: Quigley, Atlas, Salem Kroger, ujoint off road, advanced 4x4

https://www.ujointoffroad.com
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmatt73 View Post
Give AJ’s 4x4 van in Oregon a call, they seem to have plenty of happy customers, basically same setup as MG metalworks
Not really "basically the same"... Our brackets are bolt-on (not welded on to the frame) not to mention CAD designed using OEM 3D models direct from Ford, laser cut, CNC formed then welded on precision jigs made from pieces of an Eseries frame and Fseries Dana 60 to ensure fit and repeatability.

Every AJ's build I've seen is free-handed plasma cut (or cut off wheel), hand ground and "welded to fit".

Very little similarity other than the basic term "radius arm suspension".
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Not really "basically the same"... Our brackets are bolt-on (not welded on to the frame) not to mention CAD designed using OEM 3D models direct from Ford, laser cut, CNC formed then welded on precision jigs made from pieces of an Eseries frame and Fseries Dana 60 to ensure fit and repeatability.

Every AJ's build I've seen is free-handed plasma cut (or cut off wheel), hand ground and "welded to fit".

Very little similarity other than the basic term "radius arm suspension".
My mistake for not being more specific, but what I meant was them using a stock F-series front axle and the radius arm suspension. For the reasons you stated about your brackets and that I’m going to be doing the install myself is why I chose to go with your kit.
fjmatt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmatt73 View Post
My mistake for not being more specific, but what I meant was them using a stock F-series front axle and the radius arm suspension. For the reasons you stated about your brackets and that I’m going to be doing the install myself is why I chose to go with your kit.
No worries. What I was trying to illustrate is that 4x4 conversions aren't all apples to apples comparisons. Start digging into the details and there are differences.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #26

Try Advanced 4x4

I Plan o use this company if I can ever afford it;
Advanced 4x4 Vans
Address: 1102 S 200 W
Salt Lake City, UT 84101

Phone: (801) 521-2334

Email: info@advanced4x4vans.com
4x4 Van - Advanced 4X4 Vans
bcrittendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:22 PM   #27

I went with Timberline stuff, again for my own specific reasons. Personally i think U-Joint is the most complete and well thought out kit on the market today and he offers full support after the sale.

If you use Timberline or MG and some others, you "must" utilize the 2005+ dana60 front axle. This axle measures considerably wider from wheel mount surface on one side to the wheel mount surface on the opposite side than your existing ford van suspension. The brakes are also considerably larger diameter and your existing 16" inch wheels will not work. That means you have to buy new 17" wheels with appropriate backspacing to compensate for the wider axle or else your tires will be sticking out beyond your fenders and look freakish.

I am currently converting a 2005 E-350 van. The van suspension measures 77.75" inches from WMS to WMS, its a dually truck. The 2006 Dana60 F-350 dually pickup axle i just bought measures 79.75" inches WMS to WMS. Thats including the dually adapters.

My existing 16" Alcoa wheels have 8.39" inch backspacing on a 6" wide wheel with 5.40" offset. The F-350 Dually wheels have a 125.3mm offset on a 6.5" wide wheel, which equates to 8.68" inches of backspacing. However from research i have done so far the rear inner steel dually wheels are 6.5" wide and appear to have 141.2mm offset which equates to 9.31" inches of backspace, which is a huge difference from the Vans existing wheels.

But i have to run the ford F350 wheels because my truck is a dually and the new axle has an 8x200mm lug pattern. That means not only will i have to change front wheels and dually adapters on the front to bring the wheels 2" closer together, i will also have to have new custom forged steel rear dually bearing hubs machined to compensate for the 6.5" wide wheel and deeper backspacing, otherwise the inner dually wheel will be hitting my leaf springs. They must also be machined utilizing the larger 8x200mm lug pattern. I suppose some folks would just slap a spacer/adapter back there but i dont do things that way.

Ujoint on the other hand utilizes the earlier model dana60 axles which used leaf springs up front. Those axles have the smaller brakes and narrower track width than the 05+ axles, but they also utilize an 8x170mm lug pattern. That said you still have to buy new wheels to match the 8x170mm lug pattern, unless you opt to spend another $2000 to have a spyntec or dynatrac freespin kit installed with the vans 8x6.5" lug pattern so that you can retain your existing 16" wheels.
Not certain if Ujoints kit also works with the older kingpin style axles or not.

Hope this helps you to understand how expensive it can get if you decide to go with a kit that utilizes a late model 05+ axle. Granted yours are not dually cab chassis trucks but its more involved than just bolting an axle and suspension under the front of the truck. What i just described to you are just a few of the issues that never seem to be disclosed at the point of sale when you buy one of these kits that utilize the late model 05+ axles. If your mechanic doesnt have the ability to think all of these issues threw in advance of tearing the van apart, you could be in for extended wait periods while he sits down to figure out what his next step is going to be in resolving issues as they make themselves known to him.

That said, if someone with little mechanical ability asked me what kit they should purchase, i would direct them to Chris at Ujoint simply because the kit can be tailored to your specific needs and the after sale support is there.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:35 AM   #28

One advantage to a kit that uses the '05+ front axle, is that if you bought a '14-16 F-Series axle for your 4x4 swap, you get factory 14.3" front brakes included. Whereas you'd have to spend thousands $ extra to get similar sized brakes (~14.5") with some of the kits that focus on -'05 F-Series axles, since the '-05 F-Series front axle only comes with ~13" front rotors. These vans get heavy when you start loading them up with other bolt-ons and gear, so larger brakes provide more safety and are more confidence-inspiring. '16 F-Series front axle has larger knuckles too so that'd be another advantage of that new of an axle, plus if it's really low mileage, you won't need to spend any money rebuilding it before install.

Research which kits welding and which do not, especially if you're a DIY'er without a welder.

Lots of helpful info here on some kit specifics; https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...are-22440.html

Quigley does not convert used E-Series, only new.

I'd recommend doing research on the "after sale support" of companies discussed here, talk to current/previous customers and you might find some interesting info.
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:20 AM   #29

You lost me mk216v. Were you addressing me or the OP? You quoted me so im left assuming you're either addressing me or you're disputing something i stated in my comment?

As a side note, the vans and the F-series trucks have shared nearly identical rotor diameters with negligible differences threw the years all the way up until Ford started putting the 14.3" inch diameter rotors on the pickups in 2014.

Thats not to say a person couldnt upgrade to a different option package such as a tow package and get larger brakes.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:20 AM   #30

OP, I had hit the wrong button "Quote," sorry. Carry on.
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advanced 4x4, atlas, quigley, salem kroger, ujoint off road