Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2020, 09:03 PM   #1

Opinions wanted

Hi, we've been searching for a van for quite sometime. Found one in our price range and wondering what you think?? It's a 1997 Ford E350RB 4x4 V10 with 157,000 miles. Has a pop top and is super clean. What do you think this is worth? What would be the difference in price between this V10 and the same van with a diesel engine? Appreciate any thoughts/opinions. Thanks!

Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #2

I love this thread title!

Politicians are crooks.
24/7 news is a dangerously addictive drug people should avoid.
Pepsi sucks, Dr. Pepper is king.
Light beer and decaf coffee are a waste of time.

What else did you want opinions on?

Oh, the van. Sounds good. Anywhere from $15-25k. I'm basing this on the fact that you said pop top but didn't say full SMB so I'm assuming passenger van. Most here, including me, are going to tell you they can't say much without pics.

Rust?
Lineage?
Accident history?

The option list on the type of van you mentioned could make it anywhere from $5k to $50k.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #3

How much are they asking?
Service records? motor trans work?
Along with rust? Ever in accident?
As stated pictures.
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:40 PM   #4

Haha, agree with everything except if I'm going to have a soda, Coke!
It's a full SMB. Paint looks perfect. A little rust underneath. Binder with all service records. Don't think it has been in any accidents.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #5

Old 06-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #6

Not sure if I'm technically savvy enough to upload photos...
Attached Thumbnails
00C0C_5g0fLCsMeYC_0ak07K_600x450.jpg   00Z0Z_gK0E6VWQGP5_0ak07K_600x450.jpg   01414_gK0rLH3WjmN_0ak07K_600x450.jpg  
Old 06-18-2020, 02:15 PM   #7

Unless you know diesel engines or really think you want to GET to know them then steer clear of them. They are not plug-n-play like gasoline engines.

"A little rust" means a lot of different things to different people. Where are you from (originally)? I ask because to people from the southern half of the US a little rust means there's a spot on the trailer hitch and to those from the North or northeast it may mean that only two wheels have rusted off.

It's a beautiful rig for sure, from what you've shown.
Looks like it has:

1. Propane because it has a stove and a hot water heater, so hopefully it has a furnace as well?
2. Does it have AC in the camper part (Starcool or the like)? I do not mean dash air conditioning.
3. It's a '50', or RB50. This is Sportsmobile's number for that floor plan. It is the arguably the most sought after and popular floorplan. Huge plus in my opinion.
4. It has the small Norcold fridge which can be noisy and slow to cool and aren't very big at all but it's normal for that van. You might like an upgrade sooner than later.
5. It has CRL awning style windows. This means they pop out from the bottom and can be opened for ventilation in the rain. These are good. Many SMB's have side sliders that cannot be opened in the rain.
6. It has the nicer Fiamma awning. Thi$ i$ a nice awning.

I'd say $40-45k because of it's age. It's no different than a mid 2000's model but even with the same mileage that would bring 10k more. If they have it listed for much less than this buy it quick or let me know where it is.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
Site Team

Aluminess bumpers front and rear (though the rear only has an open tray and not an enclosed box) certainly add to the value. Those two bumpers together were probably $8K new at the time.

I think Scotty is dead-on with his price estimate.

Herb
Old 06-18-2020, 02:59 PM   #9

I've seen the listing for this. Definitely has a furnace. Also has the underfloor storage in the rear. I think if you can get it for $40k, you are in good shape. If you have to sell it down the road, you could get at least 90% back. I think with different wheels, it would look better, maybe more modern? Those wheels just scream 90's to me.

If you do get this van, consider looking up Agile Offroad and their RIP Kit for Quigley 4x4 vans. When you test drive it, you will most likely experience a very bumpy/rough ride. The RIP Kit will alleviate most/all of that.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies/opinions. I appreciate your help!