Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 04:20 PM   #11

I was going to say $50k but depends on how well its been kept. I like the V10 over the diesel because its cheaper to maintain, but diesels sell for more money. If you can get it anywhere south of $40k, thats a good deal.

Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #12

40-45k is my estimate.
Ron_Nunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
I was going to say $50k but depends on how well its been kept. I like the V10 over the diesel because its cheaper to maintain, but diesels sell for more money. If you can get it anywhere south of $40k, thats a good deal.
Agreed. I think it could be worth it but not without crawling around under it and driving it, and knowing the history of that particular V10. I guessed around 40 since it's early V10 with Quigley and probably not modified, plus 4r100 not 5r110.

@michele, the early V10's (97 was actually the first year) had some issues but don't worry, just do your due diligence. They had some spark plug blowout problems from a badly designed plug which were remedied by 2000 or 2001 I think. By now yours should've had plugs at least a time or two and the newer designed ones would've been used. If not you could be in for a real surprise. They break when removed. Also, pay close attention to the condition of the exhaust manifold studs. Have a mechanic who knows Fords look this over.

About the only other issue with an early V10 is that it has the 4 speed tranny vs. the 5 speed that came out in 2005. This isn't a bad thing. The v10 is plenty of motor and you won't have much maintenance at all if it has been taken care of, just remember it will be thirsty. Expect around 10-11 mpg
ALWAYS. You might get 12 or 13 if the stars align once in awhile. You can go down the rabbit hole or regearing possibilities after you drive it some.

Post a pic of the floor shifter between the front seats and we can assure you that it is a Quigley, which it almost certainly is. You will want the Agile RIP kit as others have noted above. Plan for it.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:39 PM   #14

I don't have a photo of the shifter, but I did see a Quigley sticker on the dash. We'll definitely look into the Agile RIP kit.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
I don't have a photo of the shifter, but I did see a Quigley sticker on the dash. We'll definitely look into the Agile RIP kit.
Its definitely a Quigley. Has the orange 4x4 indicator light on the dash as well. If you call them with the VIN, they can tell you all the details of the 4x4 conversion (axle, gear ratio, etc.).