Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #1

PentHouse Scissor Arms - Rattling !

Greetings,

So recently I developed a lot of ratting sound from above the cabinets and along the PH bed top rails. It is the scissor arms of the PH Top that are rattling quite badly - both sides of the van. J-Hooks are locked and pretty tight - and the PH bed has only a sleeping bag - 12 volt blanket - and Polartec mummy liner laid flat on top of the bed. Surely there's enough room up there to lay that stuff out flat and not have scissor arms rattling ? How much space between inner roof of PH and bed cushions (that compress) before such an issue presents itself ?

Scissor arms lay tight against each other when extended or flat - thought I could wrap them in pipe foam but ? OR - lay some flat foam in the depression where the scissor arms rest/drop into ? Any thoughts out there ? Anyone experience similar issue ?

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #2

What about the bolt and nylon shims holding the penthouse supports together? You don't mention those.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #3

Are you sure it's not the PH springs rattling? That's very common. The channel that the springs reside in is lined with headliner foam/fabric that is glued down with contact cement.

It's quite common to have the springs peel back this fabric when compressing when the roof is raised, leaving the springs to rattle against the steel channel that they sit in.

Both the springs and the crossbars are loaded quite heavily when the roof is down.

Are the cross bar pivot bolts loose?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #4

Greetings boywonder & simplesez -- Wow - thanks for prompt reply - I guess I know who's retired with free time on their hands ! (LOL)

As my wife was driving the van (in itself a bit of danger and trauma ! - LOL) I felt the scissor arms rattling against the channel. When I grabbed them and pinched together and put downward pressure hard as I could - the rattling subsided significantly. I did not inspect the
shims or bolts -- while driving - but point of information here - the van only has 6,000 miles on it - and am guessing (?) top has only been raised/lowered roughly 20 times in 20 years - IF I had to make a guess.

BUT - I will check those items next time I'm at the van (in storage). In any event - would it hurt to lay more foam in rail bed - maybe 2 inches ? PLEASE chime in on the storage of bedding/sleeping bag under the PH roof and bed ? See any issues by doing that ??

Thanks Guys ! Stay safe out there in CA and CO with the fires !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #5

Actually boywonder and I are probably the younger members on here. Both engineers with minor problem solving addictions I believe.

Yes you can leave your stuff on the bed. Youll find the limit when you go to hook it. People put mattress toppers on their beds all the time. Some leave sheets and pillows up there depending on the thickness.

The rail bed can only handle a small amount of foam as the spring takes up most of the room.

Miles don't matter much. We see plenty of poor workmanship brand new out of Sportsmobile factories. Mostly a certain one on the west coast IMO.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:37 PM   #6

Haha....I'm no spring chicken.....

I was retired but got sucked back into the work force a few months ago.

You cannot put any additional foam in the channels that the springs ride in but I would pull back the upholstery and confirm that the fabric that is supposed to be under the springs is, well......under the springs. You may find it in a bunch near one end of the spring.

..and confirm that the pivot bolts don't have any slop in them. The nylon spacer should be snug between the crossbars.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:42 PM   #7

boywonder is a pivot bolt expert..take his advice and run with it.
HighCountry 2003 E350 EB 4X4 7.3 SMB
P.S. with new pivot "screws".
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote