Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2016, 12:42 AM   #11

Well, if you want to see crazy, go to the gowesty site and check out the prices the Westfalias have SOLD for. Eye opening for sure.

Link: Vehicle Sales History | GoWesty | Parts for VW Vanagon, Eurovan, and Bus

And, I am with Flux regarding the cost of DIY building one of these rigs. It is very, very easy to go north of $50k with just the van and high quality parts / extensive systems. And there is no way to calculate an amount for research, planning, and buildout time.

So, appreciate that you have something that has retained or increased in value. If it is clean, let the market dictate the price. If you want to let it go cheap, please PM me!

Old 12-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #12

I think a lot of it is just supply and demand. The current waiting list for a new SMB is over a year, so if you're a boomer that wants something professionally built right NOW, rather than using up 5-10% of your remaining active lifetime waiting for a new build, you'll be willing to pay a premium.

On the plus side, the high resale value is what pushed us over the threshold of indecision and got us in the queue for a new one.

I totally agree that the market for used Westies is completely out of whack, which must be based purely on nostalgia, not quality. That's also boomers, right? The hipsters shouldn't have enough money to push the market that high!
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #13

Copied from the omnipotent Google:

Definition of Holy Grail for English Language Learners. : something that you want very much but that is very hard to get or achieve.

I have the holy grail. It's a 98 V10 wagon with rear air/heat and only 80k. Also, it's silver. Also, it has seat belt adjusters (for tall people like me) in the B-pillar. Also, it's got those handy elastic pockets in the doors and the better console with 4 cup holders for thirsty 'Muricans up front. See? Holy Grail! Soon it will have MG's 4x conversion and be even better. It's even more of a holy grail based on the price you can get one for vs. all the other overpriced vans on the market, all the new Euro-unreliable-overpriced ones nonwithstanding. See? Holy Grail!

As you can see by my above logic soon anything with a 7.3, or even that is a Ford van, will be considered and listed as a 'holy grail', because the seller thinks he/she has the best one. Human nature, and not a bad sales tactic.

SMB and Westy are riding a huge wave of vanlife love that is coming back with a vengeance, largely because younger people are so disconnected, can't get a job and can't live like their parents. Why bother working for a picture perfect yard when you've got the whole of the BLM? Any trip down social-media lane will tell you that any van is not only the possible next holy grail but probably one of the most sound financial investments you can make.

Ride the wave.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
SMB and Westy are riding a huge wave of vanlife love that is coming back with a vengeance, largely because younger people are so disconnected, can't get a job and can't live like their parents. Why bother working for a picture perfect yard when you've got the whole of the BLM? Any trip down social-media lane will tell you that any van is not only the possible next holy grail but probably one of the most sound financial investments you can make.

Ride the wave.

Haha, are you saying we are (in terms of asking/selling prices) in a "Camper Van Bubble" right now?
I LOVE IT.
(And I agree....)

But of course....there's a silver lining.....a bubble means that at some point we will have a "Camper Van Crash" (in terms of pricing, not actual physical camper van crashes I hope.) And things will get more reasonably affordable again....yep, OBD2 7.3's and V10's, by the score....for everyone!

BUT NOT BEFORE:
We will first have to see crazy real-estate-style camper-van TV shows appear.....I'm picturing something like "Extreme Camper-Van Makeover" or "Flip this van".....to capitalize on the trend, and to also signal that the bubble is about to burst.

Can't wait

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #15

We see the "Flip this van" show here in the forum on occasion :-)

And no offense to you baby boomers, this GenX'er here is hoping that you'll all be dumping your sweet rigs for cheap when I'm finally able to retire...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #16

Let me know when you decide to sell
fishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #17

Brian and Mike, spot on!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #18

So what you guys are saying is that I should quit my day job and pursue my passion of creating adventure campers that drop on an E-350 cutaway that has been converted to 4x4??
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #19

The pricing of an SMB outfitted 7.3 is what caused me to pull the trigger on a non-SMB outfitted van from here on the forum. Everything I wanted in the van body and motor, built out pretty solidly, for a good bit less than 80k lol. Am I going to dump a bunch of money into a different suspension, motor build out, solar panels, roof rack, and countless other goodies? Of course! All in good time. I consider mine a holy grail because it's a rust free beast that gets a lot of thumbs ups!
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #20

For as much as they charge to list a vehicle on the SMB website, they should offer more than three tiny photos and a little blurb. I've always been underwhelmed with their site.
bongcrosby is offline   Reply With Quote