Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2022, 02:15 PM   #1

Pricing help for GTRV Franken-Van?

Hey all,

I've been mostly lurking here while I eyeballed bigger vans and tried to squeeze Sportsmobile-like features into my midsized van. We've just purchased a new camper, so the time has come to sell my van, but I'm struggling to find "comps" to figure out what to ask for it. Was hoping for some extra guidance.

The particulars:

2003 Chevrolet Astro Van 4WD, with a Pop-top and tent from a 1995 GMC Safari GTRV camper.

Strengths:
True 4WD - replaced transfer case with OEM 2-speed NP233 from 2000 Chevy Blazer LS, t-case converted to cable shift for maximum reliability
~75k miles, Rust free (AZ and CA ownership)
Mild lift using almost all OEM parts (raiding the GM parts-bin for springs, etc.)
Transmission rebuild to 4L80E (Silverado 1500) specs at ~72k miles
Axles regeared to 4.10:1 (OEM gearsets) to accommodate 30" tires, Axles seals, etc. refreshed at this time (~70k miles)
On-board air compressor
ARB 8' awning with screen room and shade panel options
"Weekender+" camper build includes:
  • Rear-seat bench/bed + upper bunk bed
  • 49-liter DC Refrigerator
  • 12-gallon water tank w/ electric pump
  • Slider-door spray head
  • Porta-potti-sized lower cabinet
  • Single burner stove-in-a-drawer
  • Swivel passenger seat
  • Custom underbed luggage to maximize usable space - more storage under bench and rear bed than most Econoline-based GTRVs
  • 100w roof solar panel that can slid out of locking rack and relocated when you want to park in the shade
  • 100AH house battery, shore-power input, IOTA 45A charger w/ AGM charge controller,
  • Automatic solenoid-based split-charge controller to charge House from Alternator or Self-Jump from House battery

Also has all the "overlander" add-ons: rear-quarter panel mount for shovel and traction boards, rear door mounts for propane and jerry can, optional rear cargo box

2003+ Astro vans were the last of that line and included the upgraded brakes and 6-lug brakes/wheels to match the 1/2-ton GMT800 trucks of the era.
Basically, this is a mid-size van with 1/2-ton 4WD truck running gear.

Weaknesses:
This was a DIY-transplant of the GTRV pop-top from an older, well-used van onto a newer van body. Structurally identical to the original build, but fit/finish of details like the headliner re-covering aren't quite up to GTRV specs.
Not a full camper build - no sink, no grey-water, no rear closet

I built this van for 100% off-grid use - overlanding and remote camping. It's remarkably capable off-road if you air-down and go slow, and the look on the faces of the Jeep owners when they come around the corner and you've got the top-popped and a cold beer in-hand is 100% worth the effort. I'm confident there isn't another GTRV Astro, or really very many GTRVs period with mileage this low and 4WD conversion already done. With ongoing COVID pricing, I'm tempted to aim high for my asking value, but I'm not sure how much to knock off the normal pricing for the fact that the van was not originally built by GTRV and isn't a full-camper cabinetry build.

Any comps or other thoughts are welcome!

A few photos that give the flavor of the van are here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zYfVQ4EtuxvEVsVy9

More photos with project write-ups on our website:
https://chooseadventure.net/about-our-van

Cheers,
Mike in San Diego

Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:06 PM   #2

No input on pricing from my end, but just wanted to say that I've always loved Astros and your rig looks especially nice!

If you're not in a rush to sell, aim high and lower the price every couple of weeks. I usually sell my vehicles within a couple days of posting, which tells me I'm being too generous with my pricing!
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 03:04 PM   #3

I had a 2003 Astro Van AWD.
Mild build out, fridge, bed, cabinets, awning, 3.5 inch lift, solar, hummer wheels, bumper, 115,000 miles.
Sold it for 7k. In 2018.
Love the Astro. Parts are cheap and can get them anywhere. Very capable rig.
With your setup, I would reckon $17500 might be a good place to start.
2003 is the best year. They are getting harder to find. And I would take one over a Eurovan any day.
Might even start higher....

Br
John
jso5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 12:03 AM   #4

Astro

Hello I'm interested! What would your asking price be? Message sent.

Thanks
Jr
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote