Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2021, 01:37 PM   #11

So I would say it is coincidental that the rear door light is out, I believe it is sourced via the passenger side circuit. In any event you already replaced all the fuses. It would be time to get out a meter or test probe to check for voltage.

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:52 AM   #12

Would this power issue (re main ceiling light, rear cargo interior door light - and PH upper bed ceiling light - be further up the line of power / fuses - meaning main fuse box under steering column (?) or under the hood (?) - coming from a (30 amp) fuse or smaller ? All of the side lights (swivels/spots) are working. These ceiling light all worked - then - BAM - they all dropped off the grid - no hackers involved !

All blade fuses under couch were swapped out - and still nothing -- Could there be an issue in the chassis side wall of wires rubbing and shorting out ALL power to these lights ? If so - where in chassis walls would main wire be - "B" door post ? I'm on the verge of installing kerosene lanterns at this point ! Ideas welcome !
doublevan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:11 PM   #13

So, lets try to get on the same page. You have referenced main ceiling light, PH upper bed ceiling light, and the rear cargo light.

Are the main "main ceiling light" and "PH upper bed ceiling light" both located on the penthouse ceiling? I assume yes, and both are of the florescent variety.

If yes, these lights both get their 12 volt via the fuse you replaced in the front location.

If not, where is each light located?

All of the rear sporsmobile added lights will come off of the house battery, they should not tied into the Ford Van 12 volt circuits, so don't hunt for ford fuses. There are a couple of things that do tie into the ford front, but they are like the Radio Switch and "Ignition Run" used on some Separators/ACR's.

Fuses are one of the least likely culprits, so the process of just swapping fuses can be pretty fruitless. At some point I will say again you need to invest in a digital multimeter or a test probe such as this https://www.amazon.com/JASTIND-Backl...s%2C237&sr=8-3

This one happens to have a built in voltage meter, but one with just a light would do. I like this one because it has a relatively long lead wire. You connect the clamp to a good sportsmobile ground , as you touch the probe to a 12 volt source, the probe should light up (or show voltage). generally you can verify the fuse when it is in it's location. The fuse will generally have a probable location on both sides. If they don't pull out the fuse and probe the fuse holder. one side should light up or show voltage.

Yes a wire could be shorted via rubbing via the chassis and shorting out the power, that should have resulted in a blown fuse. If the short is still there then , the new fuse will also blow.

Obviously, the load or in this case lights also have working parts, switch, ballast and bulbs that could go bad. You need to check if the have incoming power again pretty easy with a test probe at the actual unit.

Seeing as two of the lights may be on the same circuit, one would assume that there is some commonality between the failure. Just remember when you assume, so it is better just to check both. You can easily test the switch, with it off one side should light up the test probe, when you turn it on both sides should light up the test probe. If you have power on both sides of the switch, then you are most likely looking at a ballast or bulb issue.

Another often overlooked area is the ground wire, for this circuit to work the ground connection has to go all the way back to the battery. It could be very possible that a wire is broken on more likely a bad connection where they attached the ground wire to the metal body of the van. This is more common than you think with these rigs, they generally are not easy to find. In the case of the Poptop located lights, the ground wire goes up in the same plastic conduit. As you have already seen they appear to use lamp zip cord, for what reason I don't know. One area I would would look would be to track the lamp cord back, one line goes via fuse and other I suspect is screwed into the frame for a ground connection.

I am sure their are videos on using meters and test probes, you are just going to have to invest one, and start probing around. I would practice on circuits you know are working, as it aids in knowing what the result will be. This step should be done whenever you start anyway.

-greg
Old 08-31-2021, 02:52 PM   #14

Here's my clarification/update - I found later that more lights were out from my first post - the main ceiling light PH roof as you enter 60/40 doors is out - the PH upper bed light at rear of van - and the back door overhead light at the cargo doors is also out. I changed out all the fuses in the fuse box under couch.

When I opened up the left corner fabric above back of drivers seat - I found the lamp cord - and the rubber fuse holder. It was a 10amp fuse - I changed it out and still no power. I also saw a blue wire - unattached - with nothing connected to it - so I taped it off - but did not see any other "loose" end wire that it may have been attached to !? Unless somehow by raising the top (which has been done before and light still worked !) the wires pulled apart and the "other" end has been pulled into the Twilight Zone - I just can't see the "other" end.
I just can't figure it out - and yes I will get a tester asap. All the lights and bulbs were working previously - and the only thing I can think is - maybe that lone blue wire that is not attached - pulled apart when raising the top - and I can't find/see the other end ?

Its' been 90 plus degrees and pouring rain now for over 2 days - so I haven't been at the van working. That's all I got for now.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:15 AM   #15

Just subscribed. Hat tip to Greg/Scalf77 et al for amazing patient troubleshooting advice.
bec_n_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:09 PM   #16

A big "ShoutOut" to Scalf77 and Twoxentrix for their responses and diagnostics suggestions regarding PH lights not working ! A broken ground wire for the PH lights which had been "sucked" back into the chassis wall - BARELY able to grab it before falling to the Twilight Zone -- was the culprit ! All better now - lights working again !

Lots of top notch - experienced dudes on this forum ! Many thanks for the help !
Old 09-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #17

-greg
Old 09-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #18

Garage
Appreciate the high five doublevan2, but I was only able to pass on that info because Bellpilot recently helped me out after I shorted my lights accidently (while replacing the ceiling fixture to a dimmable LED unit).
Scalf77 (Greg) did all the heavy lifting on this one, and should specifically be recognized for all the help he's provided here (and on so many occasions!).
Good to hear you resolved your electrical issue...You were fortunate since they commonly become long journey's navigated by frustration.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #19

Glad to give the "ShoutOut" -- and I too have ben helped by BellPilot in the past and he was kind enough to personally email also - and we chatted on the phone several months back also. If we ever meet up "on the road" I owe all three of ya a cold one at the very least !

Stay safe out there !