Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2023, 09:27 AM   #1

Sportsmobile Penthouse failure

Hey everyone, Been lurking here for a while and now have the first opportunity to post my issue.

I was doing something stupid and moving the van without latching down the top entirely. Hit a couple of bumps and guess it was just enough to break a bolt and BOOM!!!!..

My whole top shifted over to the driver's side and lost the tension of the spring on the driver's side. I understand this is a pretty big deal, and I'm sick of being so stupid and ruining my prize van.

I am in Carbondale, Colorado, and I am wondering if anyone in the area could know how having a shop or having completed a field repair for this before. I would be okay driving somewhere else to try and get this fixed up

Any input would be constructive.

Thanks, Ben

beenriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 08:22 PM   #2

Sounds like you probably broke a scissor bolt, right in the middle of the X frame of the top. If that's the case look for Boywonder's info and upgrades on this.

With a couple of helpers you can probably lift the top up and brace it UP with some 2x4's/wood scraps and see better what's going on.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 02:55 PM   #3

I happen to have these links handy as I’m planning to replace my support bolts before too long. Good luck!

Sportsmobile Penthouse Bolt Replacement on Vimeo
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ideo-9838.html
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...html#post47821
Old 07-31-2023, 03:53 PM   #4

It is fairly easy to fix your issue as long as your cross bars have not been bent or damaged from the failure. If the bolt has broken at the "x" of your cross bars, I would strongly consider adding sleeves to the inside of your cross bars at the same time you replace the bolt. It's recommended to use a stronger shoulder bolt and use saddle spacers. Here is a copy of the parts that Boywonder put up on the thread linked above. It's kinda buried in the thread. Good luck!

BrianW: The nylon saddle spacers are from McMaster Carr:

for 1/4" holes in the spacers: P/N 92842A400

if you are using 5/16" pivot bolts: P/N 92842A500 or just drill out the above P/N to 5/16" holes.

A pack of 25 spacers is $8.32 today.

You will need to remove 1/8" of material off of each of the two spacers between the bars..they are 1/4" thick each and you need the pair between the bars to be 1/4" total. Using two unmolested spacers on the outside of each tube plus the above shaved spacers between tubes you get.....1/4" outside spacer + 1" tube +1/4" for pair of center spacers + 1" tube + 1/4" inside spacer for a total of 2 3/4"......

So if you are using shoulder screws ( recommended) you'll need 2 3/4" length shoulders.

Pete bought 6mm socket head cap screws that were 75mm (3 in) long....they worked fine...technically they are .014" undersized (.236" vs .250" holes)....if you don't want to use shoulder screws then a 3" screw is needed for the above design.

*shoulder screw length is measured by the length of the shoulder; the screw threads add length.......socket head cap screw length is measured from under the head to the end of the threads.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:04 AM   #5

Coulld the folks at Colorado Camper Van help you with this? It'd not one of their tops but they might be willing to fix it. They're in Loveland.
RichPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 09:44 AM   #6

CCV did replace my SMB penthouse crossbars about 2 years ago and did a good job. They have to fit you in as a side job and I left my van there for 2 weeks.
soloalpinist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-350, sportmobile