Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2023, 04:19 PM   #1

Van Pop Top for sale - Port Angeles WA

$1000.00 Port Angeles, WA

This Pop Top was designed to fit Ford, Chevy, and Dodge/RAM vans. It could also be used for a trailer.

When it's time to lower the top and go, simply pull the top down by two handles (located inside), and snap two spring clamps (also located inside) to lock it down. You're ready to roll in just a few seconds.

To allow standup height, when you are stopped again, just do the opposite, in just a few seconds. It's that easy and fast!

When the top is up, you have 6 glass windows. Four of them open and have screens.

The fiberglass roof overhangs the windows, thus allowing for ventilation even when it's raining.

You will gain about 3 inches of headroom even when the top is closed, and 26 3/4 inches when open.

The frame is steel and the wood is covered by aluminum. No canvas to mold! This is a very solid unit.

We used this for quite a few years and LOVED it. Some of our best memories are of traveling cross country in our van with this top. Unfortunately, our van died a number of years back, and we have decided to sell the top and give it a new home.
Attached Thumbnails
PopTopOpen01.jpg   PopTopOpen02.jpg   PopTopOpen03.jpg   PopTopOpen04.jpg   PopTopClosed01.jpg  

PopTopClosed02.jpg   PopTopClosed03.jpg   PopTopClosed04.jpg  

Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 10:00 PM   #2

What year van was this on? Any photos of it installed?
Old 10-03-2023, 10:51 PM   #3

It was on a 1982 Ford Econoline van, but it will work on a wide range of vans.

I can't find any pictures of it with the top down. May have some, but who knows where. As you can see, it didn't have a problem with handling one of our very unusual big snowfalls .
Attached Thumbnails
Van and Pop Top.jpg  
Old 10-11-2023, 12:31 PM   #4

I am wondering if you can confirm but it looks like it fits externally raised ribbed roofs. It is evident in the frontal pic where it's deployed unless that is just mastic. Newer Econolines have depressed channels.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 01:18 PM   #5

Yes, it does fit the externally raised ribbed roofs. Wasn't aware that newer Econolines have depressed channels, so it would need some modification to work..thanks for the info!
Old 10-11-2023, 03:20 PM   #6

Garage
a friend of mine I believe has one of these tops on his van. you can see his build here. he might be a good resource for questions for anyone considering this top.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 05:25 PM   #7

Definitely looks like the same thing. Unfortunately you have to be registered & logged in to see images there, but this post suggests a google search to find it.

https://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...4/post-2515372

Google "Chef's Combi Wagon" and you'll see it on a Dodge van

I LOVED this pop-top..which is why we kept it when the van died, hoping we'd get to use it again. People were amazed how much room they had to stand up when it was popped open, and opening it was easy.

Pretty sure it was built by Chef's Tops in Ballard, WA. I remember contacting them when we bought the van (with the top on it already) and they told us if we ever wanted to get rid of it to contact them and they'd buy it. Sadly, by the time we were ready to do so, they were no longer in business.
Old 12-25-2023, 06:19 PM   #8

I wound up buying this yesterday.
Thanks Andy and Alisa, hopefully I can get it installed by spring.

They also threw in some pretty nice captains chairs with swivel bases. I'm unsure how much work will be required to make the bases work in my later model E350, but I have a couple welders.
Attached Thumbnails
406690193_287861057587638_7283756478944979355_n.jpg  
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 09:15 PM   #9

Oh, wow - you're very welcome! I got an email about a post here, and thought, "Drat, forgot to post that it sold" . We hope you get as much enjoyment from the pop-top as we did, and of course, the Captain's Chairs as well!!

We're so happy to have them going to a new home!
Old 04-08-2024, 05:24 PM   #10

Hey Alisa and Andy, finally got this thing installed!

kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop top, sold, van