Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 12:41 PM   #11

I try not to mention SearchTempest (Because I don't want to be late on jumping on a great deal!), but if you're looking on such short notice and finding something is a necessity... It is your friend.

Takes a little finesse to get the search criteria to only give you what you want, but it lets you browse craigslist nation-wide, and I have found it to be a very helpful tool in finding very specific things.

I'd probably try searching 1-2 times a day, and remember that people will spell it "E-350", "E350", "Econoline", etc... People are silly and there are no agreed upon names for these vans to list them by. Some people might even just say "Quigley" (Which might be a good starting point, because most/everything that pops up will be 4wd). As Gramps says... be prepared to have a plane ticket lined up for when you find a good deal.

That is... assuming that this one within driving distance is a barrel of bad apples.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #12

All great info and advice. Thank you for taking the time. My heart is set on a sportsmobile, but if we can't find the right one I buy a trailer for the summer and sell it after we are finished with it. The goal is to find the right van for sure. Now would be great, but I can wait if I have to.
spencerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #13

Don't you know... It's always fun helping other people spend their money?

If I see anything good I will try to post here. Until then, best of luck!
Old 04-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #14

A little education/perspective/whatever. No one around here knows all of the arcane SMB layout numbers except for one,the '50'. It's far and away the most common by a margin of probably 10 to one. A 50 is the same layout as the old Westfalia and many, many other camper van makes. Galley along driver's side behind driver, cabinets in left corner, forward facing gaucho bed oriented towards the passenger side behind the curb side doors and a nice, open living room in the middle especially when you flip the passenger seat around.

Going by the sheer number of these and the fact that they give you 2 more forward facing seats in the rear (albeit a couch) and the fact that they are so easy to move around in and live in, it's no wonder they are the most popular.

If you must have that 7.3l (What? I can't hear you????), then again a 50 will be the easiest to find.

And welcome!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #15

What are the thought on the gas motors? I lean towards the 7.3 because I'm familiar and comfortable with them. I've had to fix nearly every common issue with them over the years, so I feel like I'd likely be able to get out of most situations without a call to the mechanic. I'm always open to learn about new things though.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #16

You'll pay a premium for the 7.3. I've had the 7.3 and now a V10 and I can honestly say that I wouldn't sell my V10 for a 7.3. It's been dead nuts reliable, has good power and pep, and is quiet (although I didn't find the interior noise of the 7.3 to be a problem).

Some say the 5.4 may be underpowered with a fully built, 4x4 van but I don't have any experience with that.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
You'll pay a premium for the 7.3. I've had the 7.3 and now a V10 and I can honestly say that I wouldn't sell my V10 for a 7.3. It's been dead nuts reliable, has good power and pep, and is quiet (although I didn't find the interior noise of the 7.3 to be a problem).

Some say the 5.4 may be underpowered with a fully built, 4x4 van but I don't have any experience with that.
What is the fuel economy of the V-10? I always thought the diesel would be nice because you could get rid of the propane and run everything on diesel. This would eliminate one thing that had to be filled up all the time.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #18

Personally, I would buy the V-10. Cheaper to maintain, same power, 12mpg. The only benefit to the 7.3 is at altitude where it would lose less power than a v-10. The propane in my van lasts about a year to a fill, but I don't run the furnace much.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:02 PM   #19

Thoughts on this? High miles for a V-10? Priced high for a V-10 with that many miles??

https://sportsmobile.com/preowned-sp...bile-west-inc/
Old 04-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerm View Post
Thoughts on this? High miles for a V-10? Priced high for a V-10 with that many miles??

https://sportsmobile.com/preowned-sp...bile-west-inc/
He has it for sale on expeditionportal too. I think its super nice, very well equipped and in great condition. I also think he is pretty high on the price. The only ones I have seen sell above $60k have all been low mileage 7.3s or much newer than 2006. That said, you could make him a serious offer and see what he says. In order to get onto the SMB website to list, you agree to take advice from SMB about pricing. So he has likely taken that pricing advice. I think most of their rigs are overpriced, but they do tend to sell, so what do I know?
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote