Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2024, 07:41 PM   #1

Any recommendations Wisconsin or western Michigan UP?

I know I don't have my van anymore, but this is such a helpful forum (that I miss) I'm hoping someone can offer suggestions of somewhere scenic to get a little off the grid in Wisconsin or western Michigan UP to camp for a night or two. I'm a bit of a fish out of water in this area when it comes to exploring. It's just not like the west where open public land is relatively abundant.

Thanks!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:04 AM   #2

Do you have the iOverlander app? I use it to hone in on off grid spots that have been marked, even years old ones, because it usually means a scenic area if not a spot.

I also prefer Ultimate Public Campgrounds app for the same reason. When I see clusters of campgrounds I know I'm probably kind of in the zone.

The UP is a place I've wanted to get to for years. Let us know how it goes!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:30 AM   #3

Try UP of Mich around southern shore of Lake Superior - Grand Marais area ? Some campgrounds but not sure on "boondocking" totally off grid ? Good luck - shoot an update if you find some place neat !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 08:19 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I find (if I end up going that way). I tend to reserve iOverlander for times I can't find anything else, but maybe I'll use it to guide me to an area that has potential.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:11 AM   #5

If you are driving Rt 2 along Lake Superior in WI east of Duluth, there's a Culver's restaurant in Ashland right on the lake with outside tables that is really nice. (Culver's is a regional sorta-fast-food restaurant with good burgers and custard ice cream). 2101 Lake Shore Dr E, Ashland, WI 54806

Further west on Rt 2, just over the MI line, we stayed at a small town CG that was nice and had local old-school charm (IMO) https://ironwoodmi.gov/curry-park-campground/
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 12:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
If you are driving Rt 2 along Lake Superior in WI east of Duluth, there's a Culver's restaurant in Ashland right on the lake with outside tables that is really nice. (Culver's is a regional sorta-fast-food restaurant with good burgers and custard ice cream). 2101 Lake Shore Dr E, Ashland, WI 54806

Further west on Rt 2, just over the MI line, we stayed at a small town CG that was nice and had local old-school charm (IMO) https://ironwoodmi.gov/curry-park-campground/
Thanks Brian!

Old 05-13-2024, 01:43 AM   #7
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Was that Kreher City Park? Tight campground, but very close to water!Keep heading east to Little Grls point CP, Porcupine MT area isn't too far more...lots of places to camp there...then if you want, there's Agate Beach park on your way up peninsula to FJ McLain SP, and this time of year (I think all parks would be open?) Fort Wilkins SP is at the top and probably easy to get into! Lots of agate hunting and fossils to be found!
Attached Thumbnails
85861A4B-33A5-45A5-96A9-A8C4AE3F0E63.jpg   C44F068A-2163-4F83-B038-B8078776EC6E.jpg   7B4B76EB-7C39-49A5-B4B9-DFE9727FFEC7.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 10:05 AM   #8

Garage
I recommend Whitefish Point lighthouse & museum, Tahquamenon Falls State Park, Grand Matais, Painted Rocks National Seashore, & Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshor (near Traverse City, not in the UP).
bidgoodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 10:30 AM   #9

I recommend Twelvemile Beach Campground at Pictured Rocks NP. It costs, but the sites aren't on top of each other and the area is gorgeous. There is so much to do and see - great hikes, waterfalls, lighthouse, amazing views. We took a fabulous kayak tour with Pictured Rocks Kayaks. Do not go with Uncle Duckys according to a kayaking friend familiar with the water there and safety focused.
chubba is offline   Reply With Quote