Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau View Post
...I would think a bear fence might be a good idea.
We've pondered (still are) incorporating a BF in our setup when venturing into certain areas. I'm happy to read there are parks incorporating the idea. The first such area I read about was on the Rouge River in So.Oregon. Crazy thing is we were at a campground not 20 miles upriver and saw signs about the area but were never bothered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbland View Post
...The bear spray spray may be false security but I feel much better knowing I have some defense.
We carry ours on nearly every hike even here on the Oregon Coast. Here not so much for blackies but for the cougars that roam about and wild dog packs. Yes we've used it, and it did the job. I carry mine (16oz can) in the tool side pocket of my pants.

: ) Thom

accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #22
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbland View Post
We camped in western Canada last summer and I had major concerns about bears and the thin canvas penthouse wall that was all there was between us and the bears at night. We kept cooking inside to a minimum, looked for campgrounds with other campers, and eventually bought bear spray --- after encountering a bear while hiking. I don't think there is much more one can do. The bear spray spray may be false security but I feel much better knowing I have some defense.
Bear spray is in the high 90% success in Alaska (at least that was what was told by locals, but then again, they all had HUGE pistols too!) So we feel that it is the best option given state to state carry laws and the fact we don't have any guns anyway...so buy a couple cans and practice getting them up and ready...when we got within the 8 feet of the pics I posted, be were driving by slowly in Sporty and we were in Sporty (SMB), but along a trail might cause me to either pass out, or wreck some shorts...crazy!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:36 AM   #23

Bear Spray is illegal in some National Parks... Yosemite for example. Then there are the pesky weapons laws/definitions. Might want to check individual location's rules before use.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone View Post
...Might want to check individual location's rules before use.
That is interesting since they have such a bear-issue in Y. If one were to visit Lassen or Glacier, Bear Spray is mentioned in the visitor's guide and Ranger hosted walks as a suggested item to carry (and of course use correctly!).

Thom
Old 05-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #25
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
That is interesting since they have such a bear-issue in Y. If one were to visit Lassen or Glacier, Bear Spray is mentioned in the visitor's guide and Ranger hosted walks as a suggested item to carry (and of course use correctly!).

Thom
The one thing I never mentioned (I think) was the bears demeanor "when an idiot pisses it off". You neven know but Yosemite bears are not aggressive most of the time. I've got tons of bear stories related to Yosemite bears... I've had a bear lick my foot when asleep, had one sit on me, even been chased a few times. Bears (especially the Yosemite Black bear) are like unruly dogs. Bear spray is supposed to be used as a last defense in an attack not something a tourist sprays to get rid of them. I've always carried a gun in the backcountry but that too is a very last resort.
It seems some tourists think they can pet a bear; some fear em and those people scare me. In some cases, those who think to protect themselves by external means are more of a problem unless they know how to handle the situation. Just respecting the animal and understanding how to simply cope with it goes a long way. Dogs beg, bears walk in and take. Let them have their room. A little common sense is usually all you need.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #26

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
The one thing I never mentioned (I think) was the bears demeanor "when an idiot pisses it off"...Let them have their room. A little common sense is usually all you need.
Totally agree with your post and insights. I've only had bear encounters in Y and Lake Tahoe and they basically fit into the category you shared. Here in the PNW I've only noticed signs, and we do our best to keep the cleanest camp at all times.

Thom
Old 05-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage
I understand how some people would react if they've never had a close up meeting with a bear. I'm more careful around areas that hold brown bears especially one lugging around a cub or two. I never knew bear spray was not allowed in some places but in the case of Yosemite I can understand why. I wonder how many people get nailed for having it? The law says "Within Yosemite National Park, it is prohibited to possess or use pepper spray (including bear spray and other irritant gas devices)". As far as I'm concern, I feel that a small key chain pepper spray device would be worth having as a last resort if you got yourself into a face to face fight with Yogi.

Survival Story: Surviving a Grizzly Attack in Glacier National Park - Backpacker

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #28

Just read a bear attacked a camper this past weekend up in Angeles. Bizarrely the the camper was in his tent using an iPad when [the bear] swiped. Guy was injured but ok.

http://www.scpr.org/news/2016/06/26/...near-altadena/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
glasspack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #29

Over Memorial Day weekend we were camping in Shenandoah Nat Park (Virginia). We were out riding our bikes near dusk and came upon a car jam, because of people looking at two bear cubs up in a tree. We observed from a safe distance, with cars between us and the cubs. I noticed a few people walking into the woods to try and get better photos. I rode over and casually mentioned to them that if the cubs are in the tree, then mama bear is certainly nearby, and that she probably won't like people annoying her cubs. The people looked at me and continued walking further into the woods toward the cubs.

People are stupid. I figured at that point I'd let natural selection run its course. Thankfully a ranger soon showed up and got people out of there.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #30

The arcticle had the following advice:

How to avoid a bear attack:
  • Be cautious
  • Keep your food in a cooler or a bear-proof container
  • NEVER keep food in your tent
KEEP YOUR FOOD IN A COOLER???? Obvously, who ever wrote that has never had a bear in his camp. Do they think a cooler will keep a bear out of your food? Pretty silly.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote