Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2020, 10:59 AM   #1

First Time Buyer

Hello,

My wife and I are selling our home in Costa Rica and moving back to California. After much research, we are planning on purchasing a Sportsmobile 4x4 camper. Are the classifieds at this forum the best place to search? Obviously I can search Craigslist across the country but was wondering what everyone's thoughts are in finding a Sportsmobile through this site.

Thanks,
Kurt

Old 11-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #2

With the cost of SMBs nowadays, it seems like selling a house is a necessary precursor to buying a van :-)

Classifieds here are good, also Sportsmobile’s website has classifieds. Scour the RV sales sites, as well as Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace daily. Be sure you have cash in hand and a good idea of what you want, and literally be willing to fly out on a moment’s notice. It’s a seller’s market and good vans sell very quickly. Dithering, excessive emails and the like will likely see the van sold out from under you.

If you are set on a 4x4 SMB don’t dismiss a 2WD one that otherwise checks the main boxes. You can always add 4x4, Aluminess goodies, etc., after you buy it.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #3

Garage
+1. Some vans also for sale on expeditionportal.com, both in the classified section and van section periodically.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. We definitely need to wait until we sell our home to be a serious buyer and be ready to travel. In the mean time we can keep our eyes open and do more research.

BrianW, thanks for the advice about the 2x4. If we find a good one then upgrading to 4x4 is a good option.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raihnman View Post
Thanks for the replies. We definitely need to wait until we sell our home to be a serious buyer and be ready to travel. In the mean time we can keep our eyes open and do more research.

BrianW, thanks for the advice about the 2x4. If we find a good one then upgrading to 4x4 is a good option.
If you go the route of adding 4x4 yourself be prepared to spend $20-$25k and wait 4-6 months to get on someone's schedule.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Maybe you should post some pics of the house, map of where, details, taxes...you know...maybe work out a trade for a tricked out SMB 4x4 for the house?
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Maybe you should post some pics of the house, map of where, details, taxes...you know...maybe work out a trade for a tricked out SMB 4x4 for the house?
As soon as I saw this thread I thought about whether a possible deal could be worked out? However, I would want both...

However, "First Time Buyer" should also specify what kind of SMB they're interested in as a potential seller may be reading this thread...
Old 11-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #8

For those of you inquiring about a trade, our house is priced well above the price of a SMB.

For more info about the house go to our website. There is a link to the RE/MAX site with drone footage, pictures, and details about the house and two vacation studios on the 1/2 acre property 200 yards from the ocean on a hill. (property taxes $325/year)
Esterillos Oeste - COSTA RICA
RE/MAX

If you want more info feel free to PM me.

As far as the SMB we are looking for, we are still researching and discussing our needs. I think definitely we are looking for:
- 4x4
- Penthouse Pop Top
- Kitchen
Budget ~ $65,000

Our Dog
http://www.tranquilocostarica.com/pics/Rocket.jpg

Thanks,
Kurt
Old 11-20-2020, 09:35 AM   #9

Good Lord I wouldn't leave that spot in CR to come back to the states. That is retirement home bliss.

How is the Covid19 situation in CR?
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
Good Lord I wouldn't leave that spot in CR to come back to the states. That is retirement home bliss.

How is the Covid19 situation in CR?
Covid19 is here in Costa Rica. Costa Rica recently opened up it's borders to all travelers to help with tourism. Travelers are no longer required to take a covid test before entering. Fingers crossed we don't get a new wave of cases.

The decision to leave didn't come lightly. We built the house 15 years ago. This is a small fishing village of about 500 people but close to bigger towns. Great surf within walking distance from our house and a secret surf spot close by too.