Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #1

Getting my SMB....couple questions?

Well I think all the time spent here and other for sale forums is going to pay off!!
I found a low milage 2005 SMB, its the EB 50 with a 6.0!
So long as it all comes together we should be heading out to get her at the end of the month.
My questions are about how a title transfer works for California. The current owner has a bank loan on it and me the new buyer will be showing up with a cashiers check to satisfy the note. The van has a paperless title and from what I understand it will take a few weeks for this to all come together. Once the bank is content with the funds what happens next? I live in AZ so our state needs that title to issue me a AZ title. AZ will give me a 30 day temp tag intill CA gets there business done. I guess my question is, is this normal for CA, what does happen? and what legal recourse do I have when Im in AZ with the van and no title other than a bill of sale? Does the bank holding the title put my name on it or does it go the the guy I bought the van from and then do I depend on him to do the right thing and send me the signed and notorized title?
Very confused on this subject and I realy want to make sure Im doing it right, any help would be wonderful. I sure wish the current owner had his title clear and in his hand.
Thank you
TraceyAZ

Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #2

Re: Getting my SMB....couple questions?

Congrats!! You must be stoked beyond belief.

I'm confused about the paperless title? Even if there was a lien on the vehicle there should be a way to get verification of ownership and get that signed and notorized at the same bank where you're going to get the loan squared away. You current insurance should have you covered for the drive back to AZ.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #3

Thank you Joe.
Happy and nervous all together!
The paperless title is something CA does or did at one time, yes they will give me a bill of sale and some sort of form that is for "application for duplicate or paperless title" If the info Ive been given is correct at the time of bill of sale and lien release the info should be then changed from the previous owner to me? Im just hoping to find some real time info from someone who has gone through this or knows how CA DMV works this detail.
Just hope this goes smooth.
TraceyAZ
Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #4

I bet the paperless title is a bank thing and once the bank is paid off the DMV will print a regular paper title for you. That's how it worked on the last vehicle loan I paid off. I would contact the DMV in both states and talk to them about the process before I handed over the cashiers check.

I was dealing with Wells Fargo on my last vehicle loan and in my case their system used a paperless title. After I paid the loan off I got a letter from Wells Fargo telling me to contact the DMV for the title. I went down to the DMV and they printed a title out. This was in Washington not California.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #5

SMB will also be able to provide the info you seek since they sell a lot of rigs through their website.

If you have it by next weekend you'll have to show it off. I'll be in Prescott Sat for a swim camp.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan
I bet the paperless title is a bank thing and once the bank is paid off the DMV will print a regular paper title for you. That's how it worked on the last vehicle loan I paid off. I would contact the DMV in both states and talk to them about the process before I handed over the cashiers check.

I was dealing with Wells Fargo on my last vehicle loan and in my case their system used a paperless title. After I paid the loan off I got a letter from Wells Fargo telling me to contact the DMV for the title. I went down to the DMV and they printed a title out. This was in Washington not California.

Your correct, it is a bank thing. The big question that no one can answer including multable calls to the CA DMV is how to get my ownership of it at the time of the loan being paid off. They are not sure if the title will go directly to the guy Im buying this from or if they will be able to interject my info on it. If it goes to prevous, then I have to take the chance that he will do the right thing and send me said title with it properly filled out. I just can't see CA doing it that way there would be way to many cases of fraud and lost titles or just messed up titles.
For what its worth the guy Im doing business with does seem like a super nice guy, he has been great with phone calls, e-mails and in general I just get that good vibe feelings that he is very legit.
I guess we will see what happens.
TraceyAZ
Old 04-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
SMB will also be able to provide the info you seek since they sell a lot of rigs through their website.

If you have it by next weekend you'll have to show it off. I'll be in Prescott Sat for a swim camp.

Hello Joe,
It looks like Im going to get it right at the end of this month!!
I will post photos and all that good stuff just as soon as I can.
Feel free to stop by for a chat or a cold beer if you like! PM me and will get you my address.
TraceyAZ
Old 04-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #8

Getting my SMB....couple questions?

Tracey

You may want I call the bank and discuss it with them. They do title transfers all the time and will know how it works. If I remember correctly they will send the paperwork to you not to the PO. If it takes longer than 30 days the AZ DMV should be able to issue an extension to your temporary tags.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #9

I purchased our van in Portland, OR (stock cargo van at the time) and imported it into Canada. I had the same nervousness you have, as the PO still had an outstanding loan on the van. I spoke with FoMoCo (who issued the loan), and they told me regardless of who paid off the loan, the clear title would be sent to the PO.

After wringing my hands about this for too long (about two months altogether), I finally had the bright idea to simply ask the PO to pay off the loan first and clear the title. This was in early 2009, after the start of the financial meltdown, so I wasn't hopeful. But I actually made two offers, one for what I considered a reasonable offer, and a second for $1500 less if I had to deal with the loan BS. He took the bait, and within about three days, he had a short-term loan in place from his CU, a clear title in his hand, and I was on a plane to Portland.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Brent
Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
Tracey

You may want I call the bank and discuss it with them. They do title transfers all the time and will know how it works. If I remember correctly they will send the paperwork to you not to the PO. If it takes longer than 30 days the AZ DMV should be able to issue an extension to your temporary tags.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse

larrie,
Im in the prosses of getting the current owners bank info. I should be able to get some questions answered.
Thanks larrie.