Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #1

Microwave Food Suggestions

Hey:

The only piece of cooking gear I will be installing in my home build will be a small microwave for the times that I am on the go or it is raining etc.

Looking for your suggestions for good nutritious microwaveable whole foods (not processed). Complete meals/snacks/etc.

What are your favourites?

jjtwister

Toyo AT 2's 285/R75-16's
1959 Chevy Apache Hot Rod
jjtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Microwave Food Suggestions

JJ,

I did not even spec a stove in my SMB build. Only the microwave. I never want to do any 'cooking', just heating of prepared meals. With so many places like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Fresh & Easy, and the multitude of great markets and deli's that sell pre-made dishes, I eat like a king and all I have to do is heat it up. Who wants to spend 30-45 minutes cutting, chopping, boiling, baking, or grilling for a meal you'll eat in ten minutes and have to clean up for 15 minutes using most of the water in your well. My meal is hot in 3 minutes. Bingo. Of course, there are folks who love to barbeque and don't mind shlepping all the crap required, but since I don't eat meat, my life and SMB adventures are simple and I have more time to photograph, hike, explore, and enjoy my time. And my van interior doesn't stink from all the fumes.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

I can live on those steam bags of fresh vegetables. Soups are great and I like popcorn as well. It's also hard to beat a small potato with cheese onions and melted butter just don't tell my doctor. I also cook stews, pasta, Mexican food, and stuff like that which I put in Foodsaver bags. The Foodsaver bags keep for a long time and I have the option of throwing them in a boiling pot outside (and inside now that I have a stove in the van) if power is a concern. You can make some full meals using the Foodsaver bags. I made Turkey, dressing, green beans combo for a TG meal. OK I also like those Jimmy Dean mini saussage bisquits that take less than a minute. There are a few frozen foods that I shouldn't eat that I like such as those small pizza's.

With long time-to-cook items like a large potato, I'll precook them or cook it on the road before camp.

One of the Spice Islands products I always keep is Beau Monde...works with everything for the most part and a good buddy of mine makes a pepper shake that kicks butt.

Sorry, but in my world the BBQ rules yet I wouldn't be w/o a microwave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #4

My wife pre cooks food (home made Thai food :)
at home the day before we leave and stocks fridge

Puts in tupperware/plastic boxes

they go in the fridge

popped in microwave
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #5

Microwave here also. We do not need the mess of a stove and all entailed in such a small area.
Packaged lean cuisine is low on calories and tasty. Other than that home pepped foods or anything in a store mostly can be thrown in.
Jeffrey nailed it. ...Trader Joe's kicks!

Cook outside or microwave inside... IMO
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #6

Microwave Food Suggestions

Here are 3 quart size zip lock bags of chili verde I just made. Ill freeze these in my garage freezer and take in smb when needed. They fit nicely in the freezer section of my very small refer. Heat 'em in microwave or however and eat with tortillas. Good food!!!
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358792597.112393.jpg  
DonSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #7

I don't know if you would consider egg-beaters a processed food, but you can make a pretty good omelet with this in a bowl with your favorite chopped veggies or other ingredients.

They also scamble if stirred in a cup and then you can put that between two slices of bread with cheese and it makes a great egg sandwich.

We don't microwave much in the van, though we do like having it to reheat left overs. We do lots of boil in a bag and other meals that only require hot water.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
Site Team

This thread got me thinking of easier-to-make, easier-to-clean-up meals when it's just my son and me camping in our teardrop. No microwave, but I do know how to boil water

When the wife's along, she'd never settle for reheat meals.

I came across these bags which seem promising. I have not tried, or bought any.

Boilable Bags
http://www.packitgourmet.com/BoilableBags.html

Boilable, microwaveable and freezeable! These bags are made specifically for cooking food by filling them with the contents of your choice and submerging in boiling water - which makes them safe for use with the famous 'ziploc omelet'! This is the perfect way to enjoy egg dishes without dirtying your frying pan! Our boilable bags are large enough to fill with the contents of your choice and still have space to easily secure the top.

•FDA approved for food contact
•Does not contain dioxin or BPA
•Approved for boiling, freezing and microwaving

Cook-In-Bags
http://www.packitgourmet.com/CookIn-Bags.html

These resealable plastic pouches are approved for freezing, boiling and microwaving - perfect for Freezer Bag Cooking in the wilderness. The zipper closure and 3+ inch flat bottom make these bags easy to fill with your favorite camping food - making rehydrating at camp a breeze!

•FDA approved for food contact
•Does not contain dioxin or BPA
•Approved for use with boiling water, freezing and microwaving
•Resealable zipper closure
•Flat/Gusseted bottom

Herb
Old 01-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #9

We still have and use an old-school "Seal-a-Meal" sealer and bags. We have a big stock of bags, but I'm not sure if they are still sold. You can often find the sealer at yard sales for pretty cheap. They make it really easy to make boil-bag meals, which could also be done in the microwave I assume (although I haven't tried).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

You have to be careful when using seal-a-meal or food saver bags in very hot water while under a vigorous boil. I'd opt for those like Herb linked to. I've had the seal fail before. I now double seal and usually set the bag in hot water, remove the bag out of the water then bring it back to boil and set the warm bag of food back in. I use one of these:

Thermos cook & carry

Works quite well.
Attached Images

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote