Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: OT: Measuring/Metering Well Water Pump Electrical Usage

Looks kind of expensive??? If it works for ya great. What I'm wondering is if you plan to bill your neighbor when the state starts controlling how much water you can take out of the ground Our company just started installing monitors on pumps (as a test program) that meters the amount of water that each pump pulls out of the ground. The idea is it won't be long before the state can tell you how much your domestic well can draft. Ya just gotta love the state law makers.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #12

daveb: The well is just five feet from our property line. So, I guess I would have to retaliate by turning off the distribution line from the pressure tank which is on my property. And then we could face off 5 feet apart looking at each other through the gate which I installed in our fence to allow us to go back and forth to access the various parts of the system.

My neighbor and I have discussed sharing the electric bill for the well pump. We get along, and my wife and I have already paid for a year (his part of the well usage is likely $25/mo.) so the $300 we paid last year is a credit towards well pump capital improvement/repair.

The same EKM Metering company makes water meters. But I don't think we need them. My neighbor lives there and he has a family of five in the duplex. On our side it is me, my wife and our garden so at least a determination of well pump electrical cost is in order.

I have an argument against the State. Ground water is private property. The State does not own the ground water and will and should be sued if it tries to tax it. "When the 'people' own everything, no one owns anything."
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #13

Garage

Unless your water usage is really high, or the well is really deep, or electrical rates really high, I'm guessing the accuracy of splitting the power bill isn't worth diddly. The bigger issue, and one I would be more concerned about, is how to make sure the system is properly maintained to prevent premature pump failure, and to ensure there is money available to install a new pump when it does fail.

I recommend a formal agreement or even forming a private water association, with required monthly maintenance dues. When the pump fails on Christmas Eve with two houses full of guests, is not a good time to find money to hire a pump service. (ask me how I know)